Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman leaf blower does not retract pull cord

Posted by esemilio Z5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 13:36

I have a craftsman model 358.79756 (32cc gas engine) everything works great except that on many occasions the pull cord will not retract. I have taken it apart and cleaned it - could not locate the problem. When cord does not retract on its own, I have to turn the blower wheel manually and the rope will be retracted, sometime 1/2 turn and the cord rewinds - it is as if the take up mechanism was been held up. (The take up spring is not broken) Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman leaf blower does not retract pull cord

1. Have you tried lubricating all areas where there is friction of parts moving on parts?
2. Have you tried adding another loop of return tension on the return, inside the cover?
Usually this is easily done inside the cover with just the rope w/o un-bolting etc..
These two methods have worked on blowers, trimmers and chainsaws. Good Luck! Loger

o

I have to take it apart again. The cranking mechanism on this unit is sandwiched between the blower and the engine. I had squirted lubricant through the hole that the starter rope goes in but I don't think it lubricated much. There is no way adding another loop without taking it apart. I really doubt that adding one or two more loops will help. I can pull out the cord slowly so that all of it is out and it will not recoil by itself. Sometime after it starts it will suck it back; other times it sucks it back when I stop it - as it dies it sucks it back. It is as if the starter cluching mechanism to the crankshaft is not being released.

o

Took it apart - recoil spring had become dislodged - must not have put it back together correctly last time! It works for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here