Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage gardening device, please help ID

Posted by Dmitriy none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 13:55

Looks like a seeder / cultivator to me, want to make sure. Please tell me what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage gardening device, please help ID

Two wheel dolly with the wooden curved handles. The other one needs a better picture to tell what it is. Manual cultivators had only one wheel.

o

Do you mean there are two things? So, the dolly sits on top of the other device, now I see.

Have other photos but the same view point. Here is a larger fragment, maybe it'll help. Thank you.

o

Its yard art there forum here for Yard art

o

I am not an expert in these matters but it looks like some one made the tool out of an old Hand truck. I was looking at an old Hand truck the other day in an old company that is now a museum.

It looks like the big wheel contraption is an adaptation so the hand truck could be pulled

How ever that is just a guess.

o

Thank you all, and thank you for pointing that there are two things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Wooden Dolly

o

Dmitriy, I think you're "funning" us. "Do you mean there are two things?" Well, uh ... did you try lifting up the two curved wooden handles of the dolly?

The only place the two items could be joined together is where the metal cross brace of the dolly lays across the two large metal wheels of the other contraption. If those were welded or bolted together (which they are not), the wheels could not turn.

I am not at all sure what the second item is, but yes, there are two things there, and one is definitely an old dolly.

o

Hi Javert,

I really didn't know what it was. I didn't inspected it, didn't even come close, just took a few tens of photographs of that yard, among which was this device(s) and I needed to describe the image for my stock collection.

Only when it was mentioned that there are two things, I noticed that the dolly lays on the wheels (see my first reply). That's why I posted the fragment, so it would be easier to identify the second device.

always-beezee, thank you for not letting me call a dolly - seeder.

o

Dimitriy, I believe that the item with the large steel wheels is a two-wheeled garden hoe, similar to the one pictured.

o

I think this is it - the same proportions of the parts, same metal step and arc. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here