Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Are your Thin gallon jugs of bar oil holding w/o the bottom craks

loger_gw
12 years ago

Are your "Thin" gallon jugs of bar oil holding w/o the bottom cracking?

The first one caught me off guard and almost took me out from slipping in the oil. Not to mention cleaning 3 shelves of hand tools and the floor. I took the bottle back. I showed it to a cashier and told her, "you can replace the oil or come and clean the mess". She quickly replied, "Please get another bottle of oil". I s/n have let them off on the cleaning, that was a total mess.

From that day on I have always added a second bottle's bottom high to insulate the thin plastic. I purchased my last bottle that looked heavier and a major brand. Luckily (about 10 years later) I continued to keep the bottle in a much thicker one gal plastic bucket and it paid-off. This week a 2nd gal bar oil jug cracked but the mess was contained. Am I the only one to have the thin plastic jugs to fail? loger

Comments (7)

• chas045
    12 years ago

I have not had this misfortune and I tend to be careless with containers and leave them out sometines. Perhaps the outside lazy storage being on the north side has helped. But temperatures often get up past 95 degrees which might tend to do them in. On the other hand, light might be the issue.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Yeah extended exposure to light and intense heat may be the contributing cause. I have never had any such freak failures , but have had puncture issues due to incidental damage therefore developed a proven resolve , use of a dedicated metal container with a convenient spillproof spout . I think I paid $5:00 for it at the local Hardware Store around 25 yrs ago , still doing it's job .

• lbpod
    12 years ago

The same thing happened to me, with a jug of
    cleaning soap concentrate. In the basement, no
    sunlight and no excess heat, (cool). The bottom
    cracked while just sitting there. . . no physical
    damage to the plastic jug.

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like plastic but there are disadvantages in all materials. Thicker plastic was my thought but IâÂÂll look for a good metal container. I tried a Coleman lantern fuel Gal can then opted to a 5 qt oil jug thatâÂÂs thicker than the original jug. Light is not a factor in the garage storage closet but heat is. With 100 degrees outside as it has been many days in Dallas/Fort Worth, the storage top shelf is hotter (attic heat and no insulation in the garage). Plus, a gal usually lasts a few years. Thanks For The Info! loger

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Just had an outside guess at what perhaps is the issue with your Bar Oil and Ibpod soap container leakage . Perhaps the new generation recycling has hit some suppliers as to packaging . I know that numerous plastic bags over the last few yrs have become thinner and thinner as advertized as recycled material. Perhaps some of the bottles you have had fail are of the recycled generation ? Like I said I have not witnessed any such failures since I converted to metal for for all hazardous material storage .

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Even metal containers can be hazardous during these 100 degree days as in 1980 here (if not stored in cooler locations). I'm sure there are warning on some cans that we disregard. In 1980 I had some lacquer paint can's tops to blow off in the garage storage. Knowing this, I stored some items in a steel cabinet close to the floor below a workbench. Plus, stored on lower shelves in the insulated patio's cooler storage.

Last, Gas has taught me lessons in 1980 and now in metal containers w/o proper venting. On one 1980 fishing trip in the 100s the vents on the truck's and boat's vents started hissing (we cracked the caps). Recently replacing fuel line to the boat's tank before the 100s but 80s-90s fuel pushed its way through a quick coupling before I realized the problem. Only a pigtail (during transitions) was on the coupling and it was opened due to being connected to the can. That taught me to leave the cans vented while stored or in use. Over-filling the truck and flooding/dead at the next off-ramp was a lesson due to gas expansion in this heat. loger

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Your absolutely correct Loger ! Flammable liquids should always be stored with caution , within approved containers. The Saw Bar Oil example I gave you was for less hazardous combustible at best liquids (low flash point). I always ensure proper venting and adequate ventilation when storing flammable products . Lacquer or naptha or gasoline are perfect examples of very serious consequences if stored improperly . Well off to Hunting and Fishing camps up North . Have some Deer Blinds to inspect some remote fishing lakes to travel to . Have a great week I hope the Specks and Walleye are ready because I certainly am Adios ! :)