Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
levy_gw

WW Grinder Inc, Chipper/Shredder Question

levy
17 years ago

I have an opportunity to buy a chipper/shredder manufactured by WW Grinder Inc. out of Witchita, Kansas for what I believe to be a reasonable price. The model is a Chippewa 5 and has a 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine driving this thing. It starts and runs very nice, but I have never heard of this make before and it appears in relatively good shape. I am wondering if anyone out there could give me any feedback on this unit. I have first dibs on this thing in an estate sale due to a death of a neighbor and if it's worth buying it, I will, but that will be based on any feedback or information I can get from the help of anyone on this site. I have run a few branches and sticks through it, and was not overly impressed. It seemed like it took a lot of effort to feed the hopper and the branches did not self feed themselves like I was hoping. Is there a trick to making this chipper more effective. The screen is approx 1" circles and it does make a rather fine almost sawdust mulch, but again, it seems to take a lot of effort to feed it. Any help, suggestions, or recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Leverenz

Wisconsin

Comments (50)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Tim,

I used a WW Grinder, the electric model, in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's in my Fort Worth garden. I think WW Grinder has been out of business for quite some time now. It's limb chipping was quite poor by today's standards. It couldn't handle any thing much over an inch. I had optional screens for it, including a rod screen for wet material. I raised a lot of corn and it was good at pulverizing corn stalks and corncobs for my compost pile.

It had a tippy high-center-of-gravity design and a heavy cast iron frame, so I purchased the optional steering wagon wheel towing package for it to make it easier to move about. I also had an all-weather cover for it so I could leave it parked in the garden near my compost piles.

It was OK back then, but in my opinion, it couldn't hold a candle to the present day MacKissic 12PT-10 models.

MM

• levy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

MM,

Thanks for the info. After further review and use of this chipper/shredder, I would have to agree. It only has a small single hammer blade and struggles at best with anything close to 1" in diameter. I'm certainly not impressed and if my neighbor's daughter decideds to just give it to me fine, but I'm not going to buy it. I've read many postings regarding the MacKissic 12PT-10 and will spend my money going that route. I'm not really in any need for a chipper/shredder, but like me and most of the other tools/equipment I have, it's sure nice to have when you need it. Thanks again. I appreciate the reply and suggestions.

Tim

• chas045
    17 years ago

I also got one of these things with a smaller engine from a garage sale in the 70's and had never heard any other mention of ww grinder since. It didn't do much. I suspect it was designed to break up corn or something. It was almost useless for anything beyond leaves and little branches. I also just got a new 12pt9 (sitting in store for over 2 years for $1300) and was parusing the list for the chipper thread to thank MAINMAN and friends for their recomendation because it works great and a far cry from another old but real chip/shreader where I still had to do a ton of feeding and forcing

• travconian
    16 years ago

The W - W grinders use fixed or swinging hammer knives to cut and blend hay, straw, corn cobs/stalks/silage with whatever bagged or other feeds/additives... to make a whole feed blend for cattle and hogs.
    Not in any way intended to deal with any sort of branch.
    The 'hayseed' who sold you this unit as a chipper/ shredder likely profited handsomely.
    I have a model 14 which I would gladly sell you for 10 dollars, less motor.

• greenthumbhoosier
    15 years ago

I have had one of these grinders. It is a grinder not a chipper. It is a hammermill grinder and is used to pulverize composting materials into a very fine soil like consistency. It is not designed to work as a chipper for limbs. It is designed to break down dry vegetation into composting materials. I am looking for one again as I have wished many times that I had it back. This machine is for the serious gardener who manufactures their own compost.

• zen_man
    15 years ago

greenthumbhoosier,

"This machine is for the serious gardener who manufactures their own compost."

In my opinion the MacKissic 12P line of shredder-chippers is much more capable at processing material for compost than the old WW Grinders were. I used the ¼" screen to produce a product with very fine texture and enormous surface area for quick composting.

ZM

• headache
    15 years ago

Recently acquired Renegade 250. May be missing parts but can't find clutch or how to engage blades
    Help. Also if anyone has manual would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Headache

• boltonranger
    15 years ago

Boy that takes me back.
    Pop bought one of these when I was a kid.
    He had it in his head he would use it for brush chipping.
    Mainly oak and maple 2" and under.
    What a chore. It would smoke and smoke as it s-l-o-w-l-y ate the green saplings. Of course I was the one to feed it. It made so much vibration it hurt your hands. If the branches touched your arm the vibs would rub your skin raw.
    It was the worst use of power equipment we ever tried.
    He finally bought a bandit tow behind.
    If the ww grinder had a chipper blade I'm sure it would have been fine; but it relied on hammers (Very beefy ones)
    Whatever you buy stay away from plastic; and be sure it has actual chipping blade to cut with. My MTD 8hp cost 75.00 used but with sharp blades and shred knife it can handle all I need.
    -br

• lavrgs
    15 years ago

I must say I can relate to the vibration problem. There may be different models but mine has the hammer blades and a chipper blade. There is just about zero info on the web for my unit - renegade 250.8. I couldn't find a replacement blade so I made one. I may try a serrated design next to see if that helps but it truly is incapable and a waste of horsepower as the previous poster stated.
    Mine has a screen with 1 inch holes and it will shred foliage to a fine mulch. I used it without the screen and it doesn't do a good job of shredding.
    The engagement mechanism on mine looks like it's been thru backyard mechanics 101 but it's simply a lever with an idler pulley - in my case it has a chain and spring that hook to the handle to keep it engaged.

• organic_panhead
    14 years ago

tturk
    can you let me know if you find screens for these machines(mine is an 8hp renegade) I am about to sell it screen less unless i can find some if i do i may decide to keep it.

• widget_2009
    14 years ago

In the early 1980s Troy-Bilt bought out WW Grinder, and developed it for use on their rototiller PTO model. Back then I owned an 8HP Kohler elec start PTO model tiller and the chipper/shredder attachment. It had both the hammer mill for shredding and a separate chute chipper with a separate chipping wheel. They are still around, and infrequently on e-bay. It was the best chipper/shredder I ever used. Whether or not any of the parts are interchangable with yours is an open question. MTD may still support these on their Troy Bilt site I'm not sure.
    I now have a McKissic shredder on the rear PTO of my Simplicity. They did build a combination chipper/shredder very similiar to the Troy Bilt setup. But these are scarce
    as hens teeth and may cost my first born now. Bottom line: No shredder will chip, and no chipper will shred. Their 2 different animals.
    Regards,
    Ford

• desertpipe
    14 years ago

tturk,
    Where did you find the owner's manual for the Renegade 250.8? I am a bit desperate to find the source as I am the new owner of this model, and have hunted all over the web to no avail. My blades are jammed and I can not get the screen to release.
    Thanks, Chuck

• yubageoff
    14 years ago

I just bought a WW Grinder Shredder with an eight horse Briggs engine, mounted on a stout little wagon. It runs and the cutterhead spins but not much shredding happens. I think the knives are worn, but have no idea of their original shape. Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Geoff

• boomboompow
    14 years ago

I am the original owner of a WW Grinder 8hp Chipper/Shredder. It will only run on full choke and it's gotten to the point where it won't run at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find replacement parts for this? I've owned it for 15 years. Any help would be appreciated. Of course, the shredder dies when I have a tree down and need to shred!

Eric Nelson

• CaptTurbo
    14 years ago

boomboompow, sounds like my story. My Kemp machine lossed a main bearing right when I needed to clear out my garden for planting time. The Kemp was a wonderful machine but I was foolish and didn't replace the cover when I should have and the weather had taken it's toll with rust.

I decided to watch ebay for the old high quality Troy-Bilt Super Tomahawk units and was delighted to discover that there are lots of them being sold. They are going cheap too because of the recession.

I own one for my northern property and have used it long and hard with great success so I bought one for my Florida place. They are fine machines and you can get the parts you will need such as belts, screens, and chipping and shredding blades on ebay and elsewhere.

Anyway, I think this is by far the most bang for you buck.

• corky_gardener
    14 years ago

Where can I buy parts for a W.W. Grinder renagade grinder 250.8?

• elmerschimney
    14 years ago

Where can I buy or anyone have a screen for a W.W. Grinder renagade grinder 250.8? I have the optional 1 3/4" holes would like the 3/4" that was standard but would take one of the other one's 3/8" - 1" or Rod & Roller Kit. Owner/Operator Manual say's chipper shredder but not much of a chipper but great hammer mill..

• dusty_2010
    13 years ago

Looks like Im years late but I also need to buy screens for my Chippewa Five . Unlike the other posts mine has been a work horse and has saved me a lot of time and work with brush and limbs, If anyone has a screen for sale please contact me

• gilloolyd
    13 years ago

I bought one of these for chipping lol can't do that so its been siiting a couple year and just got it out and put it on craiglist
    lol
    To see pictures
    http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/1733231807.html

Here is a link that might be useful: ww grinder

• poppa04
    13 years ago

I just traded for a WW grinder 10H.P. chipper. There doesn't seem to be much on the web relating to this. Does anyone have any information about this? It also has Garden Way Inc. on tag and is model #47019. Thanks

• jkeem_fsaccess_net
    13 years ago

A customer of mine gave me one of your model#220oc 900220c00254 briggs and stratton 8hp machine. Hasn't been used very much, still looks brand new. Need operating/instruction manual for this machine. How to start, what kind of gas, type of OIL, pre start up procedure etc. Would like you send me a email how to get a operating manual Jim Keem jkeem@fsaccess.net Thank You

• K7LFY_Yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Really?

I guess I don't understand the negative and discouraging posts. I know there are better (and way more expensive) units out there but my 10 HSP WW grinder has made dozens and dozens of yards of mulch from Bradford Pear trees etc.

Maybe the smaller units suck or something.

I have had it for over 10 years and I am going to sell it because it has outlived my need and desire for grinding limbs up for mulch. I am pushing 70.

I have had no issues with it with anything that would feed into the horn. Since it is manual feed of course it vibrates some when you jamb a 2" limb in the horn - go price one with an automatic feeder. The hopper worked fine for smaller limbs.

My biggest complaint was the noise. Get a GOOD pair of ear muffs - this thing bellows when working or "idling".

Yes it has a little high center of gravity but I keep mine hooked up to the JD garden tractor when not parked so I didn't see that as an issue either really.

The locking built in tongue prop is cool too.

I has worked well for me and I don't baby it either.

Bob

• lb1049_centurytel_net
    12 years ago

Could anyone tell me what Wichita 8 hp is worth? It was only use about 3 times and the guy always kept it in side.

• do123
    12 years ago

greenthumbhoosier we have what your looking for W W grinder for composting your garden its old part cast iron excelent condition

• dah36_msn_com
    12 years ago

I have a WW Grinder thats 26 yrs old. I found the ONLY way to start this thing manualy is to loosen the 4 engine bolts,move the engine foward, remove the belt, then pull the rope. Question, did anyone ever make, buy a belt tenioner.For makeing the belt lose while trying to start the engine.

• wasatchmtnbike_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I bought a used 8hp WW Grinder a few years ago for $40. The Tecumseh engine was shot (hole in the side) so I replaced the 8 HP Tecumseh with a 6.5 from Harbor Freight. It works great. I have used it about 1 1/2 days this week and never had any problems with it. Really makes a good mulch. I wish I could find another blade for the chipper, it's getting dull.

• hflyc119
    8 years ago

I have 5hp WW Grinder chipper schredder.Would like to change oil but can't find out where.

• CaptTurbo
    8 years ago

You didn't mention what kind of engine but if it's like my Briggs engine there should be a small square headed plug on each side of the base of the engine. Take out the most convenient and catch the oil in a pan. There might well be two fill plugs, one on each side of the block as well. Find the most convenient to access and fill with oil after draining and replacing the plug.

• Damon Vis
    8 years ago

Hello, I purchase this Model from craiglist. Not sure what the individuals had for a model but the one I had works great till the chipper blade broke. I have one on the way to replace it. If you do a little digging you will find parts and you can find the manual. I post the manual so that you can look at how to use this thing. I have cut up to 2 inches of branch's. 1/2 inch in the hopper. Most these models discourage anything bigger than that. Manual below. http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/27684-ww-grinder-i-got/

• David Bergen
    8 years ago

I need blades for my chippawa chipper grinder

• dwalls82594
    8 years ago

Has anyone found a source for the cutter knife on the WW Grinder 250.8 I need one badly since the corner of mine broke off and I can't get an accurate measurement to have one made. Thanks Dan

• User
    8 years ago

I was just given a model 47012 WW 5hp Chippewa chipper shredder. It appears to be complete except for the missing grinder shaft assembly. Where can i get one or does anyone have the specs. on making a homemade one?

• User
    8 years ago

This ones got a Tecumseh engine

• chas045
    8 years ago

As far as I can tell, this company is long long gone and no one has found parts essentially for ever.

• Damon Vis
    8 years ago

I have one that I am trying to get ride of. Not sure were you live but I would be will to sell it for 50 bucks to just get it off my yard

• David Bergen
    8 years ago

I live in Kansas city

• Damon Vis
    8 years ago

Bummer that little to fare

• j_banks1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have been using W - W Grinders to make compost for maybe 30 years. During an extended illness I left mine out in the weather for 3 years. Now I need bearings but would buy a 2-G model in a heartbeat at the right price.

Before OSHA and the death of its owner, W - W Grinder was the gold standard. It did not make chippers. After the business was sold to Troy-bilt or Garden Way new markets for products and new safety regulations caused the brand to be "different". The machines built before 1976-1978 were not built for stupid or inattentive people or sissies.

They are powerful hammer mills turning at 2500 RPM built to the purpose of driving dry plant waste through a 5/8" or 3/4" steel screen. They will turn leaves, wood chips, river cane, garden weeds etc. into pieces slightly smaller than a nickel or quarter. The aforementioned materials, mixed with a nitrogen source such as cut grass or a manure (as a Nitrogen source) are then suited to make, in the right combination, the most amazing soil conditioner and mulch known to man!

I am looking for older models for parts. I was born at night, but not last night, so I will not pay ransom for something bound for the recycling company otherwise. I am trolling farm sales and auctions, but am interested in saving those old machines.

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

I understand your soulful connection to these machines. I had a Kemp that I was very fond of and the elements finally degraded it to where I just had to let her go. I have a couple of Troybilt Super Tomahawks that are dear to me but also going downhill due to not having them stored indoors. I keep them covered which helps but only so much in humid Florida.

• flybikebob
    7 years ago

I have a WW model 5-20-4, Serial #77 that I bought new in 1977. It is a heavy duty machine and has served me well. The screen just became unuseable (yesterday) and if I could replace it I'd be a happy camper. I did upgrade it to a 7HP Kohler engine about 2 years ago. It made a fantastic difference. The machine never bogs down or gets overloaded anymore. I use it almost exclusively for branches up to about 3". I have a 13+ acre woodlot on which I live and it helped me clear it and has enabled me to maintain it for the last 39 years. If the machine you're looking at is my model and you decide you don't want it, please let me know (if it's got a good screen). If I can't get a good used (or new) screen, mine's for sale. History on the machine---WW was bought by the REAL Troy Built when they started selling chipper/grinders. Parts were readily available until MTD bought the Troy Built name and changed the products to more of a "Home Store" line of mid-quality merchandise.

• tracybell234
    7 years ago

I have a ww grinder Cheyenne with 5 horse runs great rolls easy wanting to sell make an offer

• j_banks1
    7 years ago

I'm looking for older models, but i will mention this to friends.

• HU-836579490
    4 years ago

I see I'm a few years late, but I have a W-W Grinder Model 2-G Serial #703190 that I would like to sell.

• HU-141845620
    4 years ago

flybikebob I have been having screens made for older machines. Contact me Fred 651-786-4277

• HU-247374697
    4 years ago

I cannot relate to the posts criticizing the WW Grinder Chippewa Five powered by a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp gas engine. I bought mine over 30 years ago, used it for limb and general yard waste grinding for over ten years. I mostly used it to grind pruned limbs (apricot, grape vines, ornamental trees, etc. Many were over 2" in diameter. The machine ate the limbs without a hiccup as long as I kept the limb grinder blade at the bottom of the conical feed chute sharp. If it got dull it would vibrate to the point of being uncomfortable to hold the limb. Once sharpened, the feed was smooth and vibration free. Fast forward 20 years after moving to Wisconsin from California in 1999. I stored the Chippewa Five in my basement until this weekend (September, 2019). When I placed it in storage in 1999, I ran it until the gas was gone, changed the oil and cleaned the filter. Today, 09/21/2019, I put fresh gas in the tank, engaged the choke, pulled the starter cord. I fully expected it would be difficult to start. Nothing was further from the truth. After THREE PULLS, it started right up and ran like it did nearly twenty years ago when I last ran it in California. I ran it for over an hour grinding maple and spruce tree limbs many of which were over 2" in diameter. I hope this review is helpful in providing insight on what is necessary to keep the Chippewa Five running and grinding limbs effectively. Bob D.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Says a lot to proper storage !

• CaptTurbo
    4 years ago

Like meeting a faithful old friend again. I have been attached to every chipper / shredder I've owned. I bought a Mackissic 12PT a year or so ago and it is serving me well. The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. ;)

• Stormygale
    3 years ago

My name is Patrick Perry

I own ‘A Worm’s Tale’ in Jacksonville Florida, Coos Bay Oregon, Cedar City Utah, Vancouver British Columbia and other locations.

We are the largest producer of organic worm castings in the world.

I live in Salt Lake City, but I evaluate each location every year.

I have been using WWGrinder, TroyBilt, Craftsman, MTD and other chipper shredders for over 30 years.

I prefer the basic WWGrinder design that has been coppied by others.

I currently have over 20 machines that work well.

I like extra heavy made flails with the exit screens these machines use for reducing the size of materials.

After shredding, we sift using an expensive 1/8” trommel and reshred the larger materials.

A worms mouth is 1/40 of an inch, so we regrind all shredded materials after they pass through a 1/8” screen.

We also have at least 10 commercial grinders; we prefer burr grinders.

We stock parts and know who manufactures parts for all these shredders.

We usually buy hundreds of flails, chipper knives and have 10 screens of one size custom made at a time (1.5”, .75”, .25”, 125”); they usually cost $150 each.

At each location we have mechanics that overhaul and maintain our shredders.

We also have HUGE custom built chipper shredders that output material smaller than 1/8”

If you need advice, parts or want to sell a working or broken machine, we buy and sell them after reconditioning.

Most of the chipper shredders with exit screens are no longer made in the USA.

The Chinese replacements are cheaply made with inferior steel and parts; they do not work very well; parts and exact engines become unavailable very quickly.

Most people throw them away when they break.

We keep a bone yard of obsolete machines for parts if you want to discard one and help others to repair their

machines.

We believe organic nutrients are the healthiest way to live and we encourage shredding organic materials for growing nutritional foods.

(385) 202-4446 texts with a picture is preferred

• Samuel DuPlessis
    last year

I have a WW-Grinder 5-20-4 with a newer 9 hp briggs engine on it. Has been sitting for a while but not frozen. Looks like its had lots of use over the years but still in good shape. I want to sell it but not sure the best place to list something like this. I'm located in Louisville KY. This is my first post on this website. Please feel free to txt me if you know anything about these chippers. (502)644-4468