Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nor_easter

New snow blower owner questions

nor_easter
18 years ago

I took advantage of the tax free day here on Staurday and invested in a smaller 2-stage snowblower. I believe I heard of people treating the inside of the auger-housing/auger/impeller/chute with everything from auto wax, quickdetailer, cooking sprays, to soaps and petroleum lubricants to aid in keeping the snow from sticking. Is this all a farce or do these suggestions really work? I know its early in the season and because I purchased this blower it will never snow, but I was wondering how to increase its performance/longevity from the starting line. It is contructed entirely of metal including the chute so I assume that autowax would be the obvious choice, but I would like some real world opinions as I have never logged many hours behind one of these.

Comments (64)

• cardosor
    18 years ago

On the Ariens 7524, anyone know if it has the alternator built in? The one feature I would like to add is a light. Unfortunately the size blower I need does not have a light.

I checked online at Ariens via their Parts Radar the engine type and x-ref'd it with Tecumseh. The engine is from their "premium" line not the "standard line"... So what does that mean? Cast iron cylinder sleeve vs just an aluminum cylinder, so the motor will last. It also lists several options (most of which seem to have been incorporated by Ariens on the 7524), but I cannot verify about the alternator.

Any help or advice on how to add a light would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ric

• airbearma
    18 years ago

Markdb

You will not regret buying an Ariens. I originally bought a Craftsman 8hp, had it for 6 years, regretted it all 6 years especially when it would break down or the belts would start slipping during a snow storm.

I bought an Ariens 10/32 DLE and have had it for 10 years so far. It has never broken down (other than a couple shear pins) and I am still using the original belts and friction wheel. The Ariens really blows snow. My old Craftsman just sucked.

• tbird48
    18 years ago

Anyone know about Husqvarna snowblowers? I looking for a 10HP unit and really not sure which make to go with or what engine is best. My budget is about 1K.

• beertherty
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I was just given a 1969 or 1970 Ariens snow blower, model 10954 with a 7 horse Tecumseh H70-130067. It needs some work and I am getting educated quickly reading your posts. Thank you. Ariens is sending me the parts/service manual. Snow's comming soon!

I'll be talking to you all soon.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Posted by: tbird48 (My Page) on Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 15:51

Anyone know about Husqvarna snowblowers? I looking for a 10HP unit and really not sure which make to go with or what engine is best. My budget is about 1K. "

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Husqvarna snowblowers are made by AYP/Electrolux. Same as the Poulan and Sears/Craftsman brands. They are pretty reliable from what I've heard from 2 Husq owners.

Their high end blowers have a lot of features like Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV engines, Auto/Hydro transmission (like in Hondas), trigger release power steering, easy chute controls etc.

The Canadian Crafstman version also comes in a 13HP version and is quite affordable (see link below: prices in Canadian $).

I saw this at Sears the other day and it looks quite well built as compared to other brands. It's chute control is way better than the ones on the new Ariens models, but not as good as the ones on the Toros and Bolens/Yardman models.

Cheers, Sabesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Canada Craftsman 13HP/27

• sabesh
    18 years ago

I was set on buying a Craftsman model this morning. However, the controls are way to stiff. The salesperson tells me that they will get loose over time, but I don't have the patience for it. Too bad, the Craftsman has a TON of features for the price.

I then checked out Ariens. The chute controls were stiff or didn't work properly at HD or at a dealer (some worked properly at the dealer, other didn't). Ariens really should make setup of controls easier so that dealers and owners don't have to sweat over getting it to work properly. Bad design IMHO. The Ariens units look like ancient designs. Ugly as heck. Not my cup o' tea.

The Bolens/yardman models had way too much plastic and rubber IMHO. However, their chute controls were only second to the Toros.

Checked out the Toros. Wow. I couldn't believe how easy they were to handle. I just don't like the Tecumseh engines on the 1128LXE model, but might have to settle for it as only Craftsman carries B&S OHVs in my area (Simplicity: Where are you?). I do like the plastic chute and the wide opening at the impeller. They are also balanced just right. I can't believe I completely ignored Toros during my Snowblower hunt.

Is it difficult to change out an engine on a snowblower? I read somewhere that the Tecumsehs and B&Ss have the same mounting slots. If it can be done, I might buy the Toro now and swapout the engine a few years down the road.

Cheers, Sabesh.

• newjerseybt
    18 years ago

The other things you have to watch out is chunks of ice cracking the plastic chute. It is rare but it happened to someone on GW last year. Also the hand grip controls on the Toro are made of plastic which may fatigue over time. Even though the Toro chute control is nice at the moment, it is also made of plastic.

Assembly problems:
    I have also found inconsistencies in operation due to improper assembly on many models including Toro, Ariens and Honda. Most problems are from big box stores and from garden centers IMO. Most of these stores use people lacking skills to "do it right the first time". The OPE shop by me uses lots of people South of the border that have "communication" problems.

BTW, I would also check out Simplicity. They make a great all metal machine with traditional crank chute controls.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

One issue with any "joystick" chute controls is that you don't have much mechanical advantage. When you're in the middle of a long blow things tend to ice up. You'd either be left with a stuck chute, or breaking something by applying too much force on the control end. High-ratio worm or spur gears with cranks are better in my book.

A person I know broke a plastic chute on a Craftsman snowblower with an ice chunk. Only a week out the store's door.

Sabesh, what don't you like about Ariens' overall design? They've actually updated completely since the older ('60s-70s-80s) designs being used. Those were arguably better, however. Ditto on the Simplicity nod. Although if you're looking for something sporty and sexy that might not be it.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

John_in_MA,

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll take my chances with the Toro as there's not much space between my neighbor's houses and mine: The Toro will allow me to blow snow exactly where I want it to due to it's easy-to-use chute controls.

My wife will also use the blower whenever I'm not home. We both looked at the Ariens 926DLE and found it's controls to be too stiff or just not working properly. She managed to wheel around a Toro 1028LXE but found the 926DLE tricky manouver around. We found the design itself very retro and bare-bones-like. I'm not looking for anything sexy, but I just don't like the 50s styling of the Ariens.

Even the speed control on the Toro is MUCH smoother than on the Ariens. IMHO, Toro seems to have meticulously engineered their blowers to be easy to use, efficient, light and durable (Joystick chute control, High grade-High impact plastic etc). The Ariens engineers seem to only concentrate on building a steel-clad unit with not much regard for ease-of-use. Their marketing strategy seems to revolve around patriotism ("made in USA") and how tough and durable their machines are. Just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers, Sabesh

• johndeere
    18 years ago

I own a Simplicity but looked at Ariens and Toro also.I like the 50's desighn of a Ariens over the 00's desighn of a Toro.Because that easy to use chute desighn of the Toro is plastic and Cold weather and plastic to me spells Break or Crack.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

Are there any reports on the internet of the plastic on a Toro cracking? If so, what is the URL? Thx. Sabesh.

• johndeere
    18 years ago

I did not mean the plastic chute.I mean the plastic joy stick directional chute control.Its plastic and you turn it to control the direction of the snow in cold weather?It gave me the feeling of it just might break.When I looked at it at HD last year.In a warm store take it out in 0 degree weather and see what happens a few years down the road.Ussually if it looks like it will break in time it will.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

johndeere: I think I'll take my chances with the Toro and enjoy it's ease-of-use features ;) .. I'm reading that the Toro plastic is very durable and is of NASA quality:

http://homes.mainetoday.com/news/041219snowblowers.shtml

Cheers, Sabesh.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

How much is Toro paying you? :)

A lot of stuff is developed by NASA. This may come as a big surprise, but they don't use snowblowers in space. I'd be more interested in knowing what kind of plastic it is, since nothing's exclusive to Toro. My Toro 1800 electric snowblower has a plastic chute control (of a different type) and I'm not happy with the way it's wearing.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

By the way, Consumer Reports always baffles most equipment people with how they rank their ratings. Mowers especially. In the list on that website, the Toro is the only premium machine tested.

Don't get me wrong, I think Toros are great. Just that my personal preference is towards more solid machines. Used to own a 41-year-old Ariens, and last week I overhauled a friend's 35-year-old Ariens that had sat outside for a decade. My next door neighbors own a Simplicity of similar age and an Ariens from around 1980.

• garandman
    18 years ago

They're all fantastic in cyberspace. Sabesh, I look forward to when you announce what you've actually bought, and how it works in real snow.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

Uh Oh .. Looks like I might have offended some of you'all Ariens owners ;) .. My apologies if I did so.

Garandman: I've gone ahead and ordered a Toro 1028 LXE. I'll skip the Ariens Tanks take my chances with the evil plastic controls on the Toro ;) ..

Thanks for all your advise and inputs. Cheers, Sabesh.

• azinoh
    18 years ago

Sabesh,
    I have a two year old Toro 726te (now called the 6000) and so far the plastic joy stick has been great. May I ask how much does the 1028 LXE cost at your location? My Toro dealer doesn't sell anything larger than the 828 ($1299). The 826 goes for $999 and the 6000 for $949.

AZ

• sabesh
    18 years ago

AZinOH: I'm located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada and snowblowers are slightly more expensive here. I paid $2000 + 15% taxes for my Toro 1028 LXE (In Canadian dollars). My dealer's URL is below.

Prices will be lower in the off-season if stocks exist. Thanks for your input regarding the Toro Joystick. Much appreciated. Cheers, Sabesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff's lawn and Garden equipment

• johndeere
    18 years ago

Congradulations on the Toro Sabesh.Im a Simplicity owner so you did not affend me at all.Ariens Toro Simplicity I dought you could go wrong with any of the three.

• sabesh
    18 years ago

johndeere: Thanks, I wish there were Snapper/Simplicity dealers within 2 hours of where I live. I would have driven to check them out. They really seem to be the ideal snowblowers from all accounts I've read: Tough construction, yet easy-to-use controls. I've seen one in Michigan and was very impressed by it's quality (Simplicity version).

I thought about the Toro OHV version but it is almost as loud as their L-heads (same with Ariens OHVs also). However, the B&S engines on the Craftsman blowers were noticeably quieter. So, I'm assuming that the Simplicities are the same. Cheers, Sabesh.

• newjerseybt
    18 years ago

The Arien's new chute control may have some growing pains, so I am keeping an eye out for complaints on this site. I tried all the controls at my local HD and had no problems. I am going to look at the pro models next to see how they look and operate.

Yes, the Toro operates more smoothly because the chute is made of lightweight plastic. The Ariens has more inertia because of it's metal construction and little mechanical advantage as John_in_Mass pointed out.

There is another snowblower thread in which someone had their Arien's machine returned to their garden center to have the chute control adjusted because it didn't operate properly. I am waiting for that follow up.

• claude_cloutier_gmail_com
    18 years ago

I bought a Murray 29" snowblower and I cannot find the owners maunal.
    Does anybody know how to change the motor oil ?
    I don't want to send to the shop just for that. These guys charge $100 to do that.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

You take the drain plug out of the engine base or drain tube. Try to keep a pan under the drain, or use a hose or something. Put the plug back in. Fill with 5-30 oil to "full" on the filler-cap dipstick when it's screwed in.

Murray would just have the manual for the snowblower itself. You need the engine manual. You can get it from Tecumseh's website for free.

• bcrock
    18 years ago

my brand new Sears snowthrower worked for 5 minutes today then would not go forward. All the belts and chains appear to be in working order. Any suggestions?

• jbbkcm
    18 years ago

Interested in purchasing a Murray 10hp snowblower. Who makes the engine and is it reliable?
    Bill

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

Tecumseh makes the engine. Should be one of the older flathead designs, so I'd put it as more reliable than their newer OHVs. A little louder though.

The machine itself is lightweight. Some of the drive and auger parts are undersized, but with care it should last well enough.

• lineman
    18 years ago

bought a used toro snowblower, just used it for the first time and now the auger doesn't turn.. Any ideas? So annoyed with myself for not buying an Ariens from the start.

• azinoh
    18 years ago

Lineman,

Model number? How old? Purchased from dealer or private owner? Anything is possible with a used machine...could have same problem with Ariens or any other make.

• beerbelly6219
    18 years ago

I know the manual on my Ariens says if you use synthetic use 0-30W, but when I went in the store, no one sold this, and I also got those stares like I had two heads. I wanted a sythetic so I gave up and put 0-40W Mobil one in her. Was this a mistake? in all my reading it seems like the highest weight looks to be 30W. If it's only a problem with starting my electric start fires up right away.

• eric_1975
    18 years ago

try speedway sales

Here is a link that might be useful: honda snow blower

• garandman
    18 years ago

>I know the manual on my Ariens says if you use synthetic use 0-30W, but when I went in the store, no one sold this,You don't say where you live or how cold it gets, but Mobil I is fine. The 40 designation would provide higher temp coverage - which yo don't need on a snow thrower.

• yuval
    18 years ago

i`m 17 years old boy from Israel and I have some questions about the snow blower because I have to do a work anout the problem of moving snow from pathes (in countreies which have cold climte).
    I would like you to answer me about some questions that I should answer for the work prosses. please send me a posetive reply that says you can answer me and I then, I`ll send you the questions I want you to answer.
    Thanks a lot for your attention! :)
    Yuval.

• teamhonda25
    17 years ago

what oil ratio should i be using for a toro s200 snowthrower??

• range_rover
    17 years ago

We have a Craftsman snowblower that worked fine yesterday but won't propel itself forward today. It's too heavy to push by itself. Any tips on troubleshooting this problem. We seem to have misplaced the owners manual. Thanks.

• torquecrazy
    16 years ago

I have recently purchased a craftsman 13.5 torque 1350 snow series, it has a 13.5 torque engine in it made by briggs and stratton; a 27 inch cut with a 23 inch intake.
    But I was wondering just what horsepower a 13.5 torque engine really would be...I can't seem to find out too much on the internet, however I did speak with a couple of briggs techs at a couple of different times. The frist one that I spoke with, told me that it was a 11hp, and the other one I spoke with, told me that 13.5 torque was just a different way on rating the machines; and that it was a 13.5 horsepower...That being said, the snow blower itself says 13.5 torque; but the owners manual that I have here say's 13.5 horsepower...I checked the model number on both the snow blower and on the owners manual, and they both match up, so I'm confused! Can anyone out there in cyber space help me with this deliama??

Thank's!

• scotrite_socket_net
    15 years ago

Here in S Central MO, large amounts of snow happen once maybe twice a year and I don't have a need or expense for a 2 stage gas model. Do the 12" electric "brooms" work? I have about 30' of sidewalk to clear and about 5' of drive.

• Mrcl12b_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

What is the least amount (in inches) that you would use a 28 inch dual stage snowblower? I am assuming if you have 3 inches this would not be approriate. (I do'nt know). Can you use the dual for any amount of snow or not?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well give it a try and tell us if the amount and distance the snow is discharged from the chute is makes it justified to you ?

• bogey123
    13 years ago

When things get clogged up with my 2 stage, I use a toilet cleaning brush that I keep hanging from one of the handlebars. It does a good job in cleaning things off at the end of blowing snow too and its always handy so I dont' have to look around for a stick or something to use to clear. I think the thing cost me $2 at the odd lot store.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Bogey : Great Suggestion !

• bogey123
    13 years ago

I also put some WD 40 on the brush before I blow snow and it seems to help keep things clear after the chute clogs up.

• GreatMountainView_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I saw your question and thought this would help you. I came across a product that works wonderfully and can be used with many different applications. It is called Clean Deck Graphite. You should prepare all your snow removal equipment by using Clean Deck Graphite on the snow blower outlet chute and deflector, the scraper bar and on the shave plate and auger too. If you have a snow plow blade and a snow shovel, the product works great on them also to prevent the build-up of wet snow. For regular snow removal, you only have to apply Clean Deck Graphite once a year vs. the other non-stick options which have to be applied every time you go out to remove any snow. Cleaning up after you are done is pretty easy too as the snow will not stick to your equipment if you coated everything properly and if there is any small residue left behind on the coated areas, you just lightly rinse it off with a water hose. I have really enjoyed using this product. They have a website, but I do not think it is allowed to be posted here in this forum. Just search for the name of the product and you should be able to find it. I hope this helps.

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Now that i have reached the "Geezer" stage in life, and after many years of working with all things mechanical, with the exception of very large ocean going ship diesels, i can see that my simple approach to snow-throwers/blowers doesn't cut it in this modern world!
    Over the years--we didn't bother with all of the technical jargon i have just finished reading in the past messages, in this section. Oh, we did the regular maintenance, and all that, but, worrying about how much snow something will toss out, and how far, didn't seem to warrant 75 pages of nonsense!
    Also, an Ariens large snow thrower/blower, is hands down far better than most anything you can buy today! Unless you go to the places that sell real snow equipment!
    And, just why does everybody trash-talk Tecumseh engines?
    Geez--they held up just as good as B&S, and sometimes better! Seems the goofs here know so much about them, even though they never owned them, or used them. HMMPH!
    Any snow-blower i have had, i would remove it from storage, check the oil (which i had changed in the Spring), grease up the fittings, install fresh gasoline, plug it in, and it would start!
    So now, i just returned from picking up a gift snow blower. An Ariens, electric start, and all that. Only thing wrong that i can see, is it wasn't run last winter because the owner had bought a new one. Today, he tried to start it, and nothing. So he called me and told me i could have it for free! Tomorrow, i'll get it to run, and then i'll have one to use. And, i won't complain if it has a Tecumseh engine, or if it has a plastic chute, or one of the controls won't work right! Some TLC will get it operating again. End of rant! Rusty Jones

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rusty , Rant Excepted No Problemo lol !

• btruchon
    13 years ago

I tried to do preventative maintenance by draining the oil in my blower. Trouble is, I forget to fill it before starting last week. It ran for about 3 minutes then died. I tried liquid wrench down the spark plug-no luck. I then pulled off the pully mechanism, place a board over top and struck it with a small hammer. Still no luck. I really don't know my way around an engine but would love to save my blower-snow's coming and I have to clear the rink:)

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

I'm just glad I have an Ariens in good enough shape so that #2 son could clear the driveway without troubles. I'm down to one good arm, so fixing stuff is gonna hafta wait awhile. Tecumsehs are good little engines. Keep the oil level right , and you'll be fine.

• dgbriand_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hey Guys, no spark on a early 80's Ariens blower' Don't know where to access points. Under the flywheel? this is a 5 HP with eletric start. Thanks for the help BD.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

If it has points, then yes- under the flywheel. Verify no ground happening going to the magneto from the kill switch circuit.

• blakk
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the actual Horsepower rating is for this model snow blower? 2011 Troy-Bilt 277cc 28 inch Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower Model 31AH64Q4711
    The manufacturer and retailer won't say! I've searched everywhere online and I just can't seem to find an answer?
    Any help out there?
    Thanks!