Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

How do you split Pecan without the stringy issue of it holding

loger_gw
9 years ago

How do you split Pecan without the stringy issue of it holding together? Is it seasoning, variety grain structure issue or what? A friend has plenty that needs splitting and I told him that is a challenge.

I have tried cutting 4-6â to give the splitter leverage to split it but the strings still hold most pieces together (requiring a hatchet to continue, while sitting, LOL). Another friend with a larger saw cuts approx 6-8â slices and cut 6-8â blocks from the slices.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One friend cuts his pecan firewood into slices, then blocks (attached). I would say mainly due to not owning a splitter and the pecanâÂÂs resistance. That is some good burning in a bed of coals.

One of my solutions is to cut my pecan short enough that the ram can almost touch the wedge (adjusted) to cut the strings. That works fair if I stay with 12 dia wood. My father said wait until a freeze but I plan to be inside. LOL.. I can maybe see his point if the wood is not seasoned. Plus I doubt his ref was to pecan vs oak.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

It is the wrong time of year for my suggestion, but I will add it in case someone can use it.

Way way back, many many years ago, I sold firewood to help make ends meet...... I would cut the tree down and in to lengths the day before a hard freeze.

I would split it early the next morning, with an ax, no stringy issue!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! This ref back to my fatherâÂÂs advice and a shocking dangerous experience I had. I was cutting an Oak tree or Mesquite during a freezing day and when the tree started to hinge, âÂÂIt Snapped Completely Off The TrunkâÂÂ. Too many âÂÂTrue Experiences and Widow Makers Storesâ got my attention. âÂÂButâÂÂ! There Are No Ends To The Dangers.

Be Careful And Walk Away If You Think There Will Be A Problem!!!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about "Widow Makers" loger, I've got a huge dead oak tree that could possibly hit my house if it fell.

I have been working at it a little at a time since I'm afraid it will drop a big limb on me while I'm cutting it.

I took my backhoe and gave it a few good jolts as high as I could reach without being in the danger zone. Then I used a ladder to cable it off, as high as I could, to a healthy tree so that if it falls it can't hit the house.

I go out about every 3 weeks and jolt it. I'm down to about 10 big limbs now.

When I get them off I plan to use a rope type chainsaw up high, I hope my plan works!

I talked to a tree service and it would be over $2000 to bring out a bucket truck and take it down!

I know my life is worth more than $2000, well except on my wife's part, since I have a $200,000 accidental life insurance policy! ;) Unless I happen to accidentally walk under that tree and a limb falls I can wait!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"When I get them off I plan to use a rope type chainsaw up high, I hope my plan works!"

I hope it's not the rope type saw that I used until my neck had all the looking up it could take on 2-4" limbs. It worked fair with two of us a distance apart to eliminate the chain getting pinched. With dead wood and old enough, they might snap before too much work. I feel my saw is retired.