Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brushers replaced in Black & Decker Hedge Hog # HH2450

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 16:19

Is it reasonable in cost or time to have brushers replaced in Black & Decker Hedge Hog # HH2450? A Friend asked me where he could get his intermitting Hedge Hog Trimmer repaired. I ask him to let me check it with my ohmmeter. It showed continuity that should be working. Since he said it was intermitting, I took a look inside ("too many screws and time") but the look paid off with a problem found other than needing brushers.

A once soldered wire was loose in it's socket and I crimped the socket onto the wire for testing vs soldering. It worked fine w/o intermitting even though I did not try it before the inspection. I'll suggest to the owner that whoever service the brushers solder the wire back in the socket also.

It is the white wire in the attachment that came loose as I moved wires looking for a loose connection. The owner used the fair quality looking trimmer on his few hedges only. One brush looked excessively worn shorter for 5 years of use IMO. Have any of you had personal experiences servicing, getting service or using Black & Decker Hedge Hog # HH2450?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brushers replaced in Black & Decker Hedge Hog # HH2450

What you have soldered the white wire to is known as the Motor End Cap (Dewalt part number 477926-00). A complete end cap can be gotten for under $5.00

The Brushes (Dewalt part number 387542-00) are held in place by a flat spring. The brushes cost less than $2.00.

==============

You should have no problem soldering the leads to the end cap as long as you do not melt the plastic on the end cap causing it to short out. Honestly soldering is far better than crimping any day due to it eliminates the possibility of a loose connection and arcing.

o

Thanks Hippy, For the “Always Good Info”. The Trimmer looks to have some Quality.

1. The soldered connection that came loose looked like a cold joint w/o enough solder (Mass Production).
2. Is it common to see a commutator that dark from the brusher riding it? It was smooth but darker than what I'm use to seeing.

3. I’m surprised at the work it would take to add brushes. I feel I d/n get a good view of the appeared worn brusher. At approx 2-3 hrs per year I feel he will get some good use before any needs. I do understand soldering is better than crimping. I’m a little more liberal than the factory soldering/welding Etc

This post was edited by loger on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 20:56

o

Motor brushes are made of Carbon. The are designed to run tight against the copper commutator and in doing so they wear out like a set of brake pads on a car over time.

All kinds of cleaners out there for cleaning commutators. CRC Electrical cleaner and a commutator cleaning brush does a very good job of cleaning them with out damaging the soft copper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here