Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodchip_nut

Dimentions of Tomahawk chipper TOW bars???

woodchip_nut
14 years ago

I had tacked this request onto another thread about the tow unit for the Tomahawk. My appologies to the original lister. Anyway --

I got a great deal on an older Troybilt 8HP Super Tomahawk at a local auction last month. What a great machine! It is HEAVY, though. I would love to have a tow set-up for my garden tractor/ mower. It appears as though these tow set-ups are scarce. It does look rather simple in design. Anybody willing to go out to their Tomahawk and measure all the lengths of the various rods for me? I figure the manufacturer has all the sizes figured for proper tip and balance when towing. Once I know those lengths, I should be able to build my own tow unit.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

I've been contemplating fabricating a tow-bar for my 1991 8 hp unit w/elec start as well - quite heavy when pulling by hand and sure would be easier towing to the compost pile with my tractor. The closest I've come is this original parts diagram (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Tomahawk tow bar

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Guess that link didn't work very well . . . here's a direct jpeg image - click to enlarge.

• woodchip_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a very helpful picture. Thank you. Now, if someone can tell us the lengths of parts 1 and 4 -- we can start building.

• CaptTurbo
    14 years ago

Each leg of "1" is about 55" (including attachment tabs and measured to the end of the tow eye)

Part "4" is about 36.5"

• woodchip_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is great, thanks! With the picture and those measurements I should be able to make a tow unit at least as good as the factory job!

• CaptTurbo
    14 years ago

Glad to help a chipper fellow er ... ahh ... fellow chipper? Have fun. ;)

• zimmersci
    14 years ago

what happened to the picture?
    need it desperately!!!!!

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Here you go zimmersci . . .

• andeca_ymail_com
    13 years ago

Did you build a tow bar? Can you send me pictures and advice on how to build one. The only other dimension I think I need is the distance from part 3 to the front of the tow hitch.