Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimentions of Tomahawk chipper TOW bars???

Posted by woodchip_nut (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 16:54

I had tacked this request onto another thread about the tow unit for the Tomahawk. My appologies to the original lister. Anyway --

I got a great deal on an older Troybilt 8HP Super Tomahawk at a local auction last month. What a great machine! It is HEAVY, though. I would love to have a tow set-up for my garden tractor/ mower. It appears as though these tow set-ups are scarce. It does look rather simple in design. Anybody willing to go out to their Tomahawk and measure all the lengths of the various rods for me? I figure the manufacturer has all the sizes figured for proper tip and balance when towing. Once I know those lengths, I should be able to build my own tow unit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimentions of Tomahawk chipper TOW bars???

I've been contemplating fabricating a tow-bar for my 1991 8 hp unit w/elec start as well - quite heavy when pulling by hand and sure would be easier towing to the compost pile with my tractor. The closest I've come is this original parts diagram (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Tomahawk tow bar

o
Troy-Bilt tow bar parts diagram

Guess that link didn't work very well . . . here's a direct jpeg image - click to enlarge.

Photobucket

o

That's a very helpful picture. Thank you. Now, if someone can tell us the lengths of parts 1 and 4 -- we can start building.

o

Each leg of "1" is about 55" (including attachment tabs and measured to the end of the tow eye)

Part "4" is about 36.5"

o

That is great, thanks! With the picture and those measurements I should be able to make a tow unit at least as good as the factory job!

o

Glad to help a chipper fellow er ... ahh ... fellow chipper? Have fun. ;)

o

what happened to the picture?
need it desperately!!!!!

o

Here you go zimmersci . . .

Photobucket

o

Did you build a tow bar? Can you send me pictures and advice on how to build one. The only other dimension I think I need is the distance from part 3 to the front of the tow hitch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here