Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Platinum Mower model 917.376536 runs choked only?

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 16:59

What would cause a Craftsman Platinum Mower model 917.376536 to run choked only?

1. If I manually choke it vs it choking itself it runs as long as it’s choked.

2. It appears something is missing that should cause it to choke, what would that be?

3. Running with the choke on is typically a sign of sucking air but from where with good fuel lines and carb connection?

4. We added fresh fuel with a little carb cleaner added but d/n run it over :10.

5. Fuel runs good with the bowl’s float dropped, could it still be a swollen seat restricting fuel w/o chocking?

6. Any opinions?

This mower was on what I thought was a scrap metal collector’s truck that sat on the curb the last two nights. Seeing the owner, I asked if it ran and he said it did and just stopped. I asked if he wanted to donate it and he replied no due to the 400.00+ he said it cost and would like to get it repaired. Seeing the electric start self propel and Etc I felt it cost $400.00 + and could possibly be in warranty. After seeing how I could make it run, he’s taking it back to Sears to see if they will help him.

Due to asking for it as a donation, I was embarrassed enough to do the quick troubleshooting and he is to let me know what Sears suggest or Etc..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Platinum Mower model 917.376536 runs choked only?

My guess Probably needs something my girlfriend use to need ever so often????? DiaPhramn. Or maybe gummed up/dirty main jet Which IMO choking would lean out the mixture letting it run, but not full power due to the limited air. either way Sears mech. probably going to say carb. need rebuilt. That way covers all the bases and gets the full charge for carb. repair IMO of course which means Absolutely nothing.....

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 19:06

If it's a Tecumseh engine, it's the main jet (bowl nut) probably, or other varnish inside the carb. If it runs, clean the main jet, put a good dose of carb cleaner in the tank and run it with the choke closed. It may clean up by itself.

o

Thanks baymee! The maim jet is my first thought to inspect which was clear but I h/n seem a bolt with two or I would have spotted them. The bolt was too short to start almost. I feel he is on a good path with fresh fuel and carb cleanser if he runs it before going top Sears. I have learned that I d/n know it all and that all are not interested in their needed repairs. Enough Said!

o

Huuuuum Very Interested ....Very Interesting Indeed ! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here