Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Stihl extended hedge trimmer

Posted by zdog none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 17:34

I live in Arizona and have several decorative citrus trees to keep trimmed up and in check. I think I have decided on Stihl as the brand but would like some advice on which extended reach trimmer to buy. It is between the all in one unit such as a HL-100 fixed blade or a Stihl Kombi Motor KM 90R or KM 110R with the HL-KM fixed attachment. The adjustable attachments are too long and out of balance for my taste. So do I need the all in one or the Kombi Motor setup? I already have a chain saw and string trimmer from Stihl so I can't think of any other attachments I may need.

Thanks,
zdog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Stihl extended hedge trimmer

The dedicated unit would be cheaper than the Kombi Motor plus the HL attachment, so unless you feel you may want to get other attachments for the Kombi later, I'd get the dedicated HL100. They make a short HL100K with pivoting head that's $50 more than the fixed head version. That's what the K is for by the way. K for Kurz, which is German for short. If it were me, I would spend the extra $50 and get the pivoting head. Sure enough, if I didn't, I'd wish I had. While combination units are handy, one disadvantage to them is if you have trouble with the engine all your combination attachments are down. When my old (not Stihl) combination unit bit the dust I couldn't edge or weedeat the yard until I got replacements. I opted for dedicated units for each task and am going to repair my old combination unit to either keep as a spare or donate to someone who needs it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here