Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polecat009

Which is better the Stihl FS 55 R or the Echo SRM-225

polecat009
13 years ago

I am debating purchasing a new gas trimmer for my home here on the eastern shore of maryland. I have gotten it down to two choices of either the Stihl FS 55 R or the Echo SRM-225. They both seem to have smiliar features to them. Which do i chose now for my yard. What are your thoughts on my decison process.

Comments (15)

• canguy
    13 years ago

The FS-55 wins on price but that is all. The Echo is smoother, quieter and will last you for years with a little care.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well your comparing a 27 cc Swede manufacturer or a 21 cc Japan origin both proven quality . Even though small in displacement , I like the Design of the Echo on these Models. Actually the Pricing locally for the Echo is better here . Shows you have to shop around perhaps. I will agree with CG on long term performance , since I have a neighbour who has a 225 unit almost 10 yrs old that he has me service (cleaning) every few yrs . Almost maintenance free .

• ladylake
    13 years ago

The Echo, built way better. Steve

• slipshoddon
    13 years ago

I have the Stihl FS55 R and it's been a great tool for me. I've never owned an Echo, but all the Commercial Crews around here seem to be converting to Stihl products. That caught my eye before I made a purchase.

Of course the Echo is sold at the big box retailer or the local independent dealer, but Stihl is only available through an independent dealer. The dealer recommended Stihl over Echo with a slightly higher rating, but indicated that both are top-notch trimmers.

The feature I really like on the Stihl is the cutting head. It's very stable and balances the power unit nicely. I think with either choice, it will last for years and years.

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

"all the Commercial Crews around here seem to be converting to Stihl products"

The Stihl homeowner and commercial units are a world apart in quality and price. The 225 is hard to beat for the money.

• popcornhill
    13 years ago

I bought the Stihl 55 this summer after using the walmart weedeaters for several years. I have never used the Echo. I don't know how much the Echo weighs but if I were you I would test or at least pickup both before making a decision. The Stihl is pretty heavy. But as far as a good weedeater it is way better than anything I have had. You do have to keep the rpm's up or the head will stop spinning.

• loger_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A Personal Dealer Friend with both recommended the Echo SRM-210. He also recommended I did not have to purchase from him due to about a 10.00 differences in cost 1n 2002 at Home Depot. It was recommended to start on the 2nd pull and it has since 2002 (maintained and by the start sequence). IMO, it’s your preference. His ref, was what the Yard Crews were purchasing. My SRM210 Has Been Great! I have 2 other Echo trimmers that are Great but I have no experience with Stihl. Do you drive or prefer a Chevy, Ford or Toyota? It’s a personal thing IMO but personal experiences help.

• stephen4069
    8 years ago

I have the Stihl fs 55 and it has been a pain to start ever since I bought it about 4 years ago, my dad has the Echo and it is lighter and starts second or third pull ever time and easier bro figure out how to start also

• Jerrod Mjb
    8 years ago

Stihl FS 55 R I have one for 8 year now in run good

• Dannx Spencer
    6 years ago

I use efco it has a 5year warranty

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

To me, the only important thing is the bigger guard on the Stihl. I have both a Stihl and a Echo and I have to say I hate getting shot, and itching from poison ivy or whatnot, so I end up grabbing the Stihl in the summer when I favor lighter clothing such as shorts.

• Dannx Spencer
    6 years ago

I like efco27s and fs55 i like it Because it is very lightweight and lots of power but favorite one is the efco27s

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

what is an efco?

• upup_and_away
    6 years ago

Like people say buying a Deere, they are both good for years but someday they will break. I find echo parts like carb\ignition coil more expensive.