Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is better the Stihl FS 55 R or the Echo SRM-225

Posted by polecat009 maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 18:48

I am debating purchasing a new gas trimmer for my home here on the eastern shore of maryland. I have gotten it down to two choices of either the Stihl FS 55 R or the Echo SRM-225. They both seem to have smiliar features to them. Which do i chose now for my yard. What are your thoughts on my decison process.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is better the Stihl FS 55 R or the Echo SRM-225

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 0:26

The FS-55 wins on price but that is all. The Echo is smoother, quieter and will last you for years with a little care.

o

Well your comparing a 27 cc Swede manufacturer or a 21 cc Japan origin both proven quality . Even though small in displacement , I like the Design of the Echo on these Models. Actually the Pricing locally for the Echo is better here . Shows you have to shop around perhaps. I will agree with CG on long term performance , since I have a neighbour who has a 225 unit almost 10 yrs old that he has me service (cleaning) every few yrs . Almost maintenance free .

o

The Echo, built way better. Steve

o

I have the Stihl FS55 R and it's been a great tool for me. I've never owned an Echo, but all the Commercial Crews around here seem to be converting to Stihl products. That caught my eye before I made a purchase.

Of course the Echo is sold at the big box retailer or the local independent dealer, but Stihl is only available through an independent dealer. The dealer recommended Stihl over Echo with a slightly higher rating, but indicated that both are top-notch trimmers.

The feature I really like on the Stihl is the cutting head. It's very stable and balances the power unit nicely. I think with either choice, it will last for years and years.

o

"all the Commercial Crews around here seem to be converting to Stihl products"

The Stihl homeowner and commercial units are a world apart in quality and price. The 225 is hard to beat for the money.

o

I bought the Stihl 55 this summer after using the walmart weedeaters for several years. I have never used the Echo. I don't know how much the Echo weighs but if I were you I would test or at least pickup both before making a decision. The Stihl is pretty heavy. But as far as a good weedeater it is way better than anything I have had. You do have to keep the rpm's up or the head will stop spinning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here