Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kb2112_gw

Briggs and Stratton Recoil Trouble and Gas tank

Kb2112
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have a chipper/shredder with a B&S motor model 192402-1015-E1. It hasnt been working in a few years due to rodent damage on the wiring. Than has all been repaired and carb has been cleaned and rebuilt.

Im having trouble with the recoil starter. The recoil starter will rewind the rope when it is off the engine, but when it is attached, it will not. I dont see how it could as the pulley directly slides onto the shaft when it is installed, and has no visible means of disconnecting to rewind the rope.

I cant seem to be able to find any schematics that show anything Im missing.

Any ideas??

Also, the gas tank has been damaged to the point of no repair. A new one is $80 plus, thats too much. Anybody come up with any good ideas of making one out of a small gas can? I have been looking for a way to put a leak-proof fuel valve into one.

Im looking forward to hearing any ideas,

Thank You,

Kb

Comments (6)

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Please post some links or pics of your chipper. Three things come to mind.

1. The starter is binding and need spaces/washers but why? Add them if they will work.
    2. The tank must be plastic or why can the metal not be repaired (brazing or soldering)?
    3. A leak proof can should be possible if needed using the proper seals and fittings.

• Kb2112
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a BearCat with a plastic tank

• chas045
    10 years ago

Plenty of dead engines end up in the trash or at curbside. Scrounge one and use the tank. I would suspect that the starter housing is slightly bent and you might be able to bend it back in shape with your hands.

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

Your problem is the starter clutch on the end of the flywheel. It needs to be replaced. It has a series of ball bearings which allow it to spin freely in one direction and lock up in the other. Order new clutch 399671 about $20 to $25 ($15 to $20 on Ebay).

As for the tank, I think you're stuck. Even on Ebay, new ones go for $75 to $100, and used ones are north of $50 for p/n 691993. Someone does have an older steel tank on Ebay currently at $20. Should work for your application. See the URL below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Briggs tank for sale

• Kb2112
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starter clutch definitely needs to be replaced. Once I got it off and opened it up, all the bearings and interior was rusted and pitted. Thank you for the help. Now I just need to order it.

For the gas tank, I used a thick clean plastic vinegar bottle and installed a rubber valve bushing and fuel shut-off valve into the bottom. For a new tank it would have cost $80+, my cost was $10.13. It would have been less but I wanted a shutoff valve instead of just a thru-valve. For what I need, this will work as I can hang it up out of the way on the handle, while the machine is running. Its not pretty but it works!

• Kb2112
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starter clutch definitely needs to be replaced. Once I got it off and opened it up, all the bearings and interior was rusted and pitted. Thank you for the help. Now I just need to order it.

For the gas tank, I used a thick clean plastic vinegar bottle and installed a rubber valve bushing and fuel shut-off valve into the bottom. For a new tank it would have cost $80+, my cost was $10.13. It would have been less but I wanted a shutoff valve instead of just a thru-valve. For what I need, this will work as I can hang it up out of the way on the handle, while the machine is running. Its not pretty but it works!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm