Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
troy bilt horse tiller 8hp needs new engine

Posted by fespo 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 19:16

Hello all, I found and bought a 8hp horse tiller for $30.00. The engine did blow and thats why they sold it.So I do need to put another 8hp briggs or 9-10 hp. THE reason I ask is, i can buy an 9 or 10 for less then the 8. Do I stay with Briggs or should I get a Tecumseh. I can deals on ebay or this place http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/default.asp
Any help would be great thanks
Oh by the way, they looking for the other set of brand new tines for me too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: troy bilt horse tiller 8hp needs new engine

I would stay with Briggs because they are good engines and Tecumseh went out of business which means parts will be hard to find.

o

You do know that overhead valve engine will be stronger that flat head engine of same horse power. Overhead valve engine put out more torque. I have 2 troybilt horses both now have overhead engines 6 and 6.5 they as powerful as 8 horse flathead. 6.5 come from harbour freight was 159.00 its honda knockoff from china. Mounting same bolt threads national fine 5/16 but bolt holds pulley on was different old engine was 3/8 new was 5/16 nf thread.

o

Hi gator_rider2,
Could you please give me the Model# of the Harbor Freight engine you used?? (I have a HF close by) Any problems other that you already indicated above in installing it ? How about the throttle hookup?? Or just don't bother with it, and let the govenor handle it ?
I am torn between a Briggs Vanguard (=$$$$$$) and 159.00
My trusty Tecumseh just isn't worth the time+$ to rebuild.
Thank you,
Ford
RI

o

Model 66015 blue engine its just like 6 hp one but this one 6.5 hp called greyhound. The 6 hp one called powerhorse and has different model number. I have just installed 6.5 model 66015 on mind crank engine couple times all I've done adjust throttle so move easyier. Engine quit like honda controls same throttle choke fuel cut off all on front so may get bumper to protect all that local store order one like other one for 45.00. On other tiller I have tecumeh 6 hp over head valve engine on it throttle on front I got pull twist throttle cable put on it works good this engine sports engine for Go-carts. For time being going leave throttle on greyhound as is and see what happens.

o

Thanks for the info. I'm absolutely in love with:
Briggs & Stratton I/C OHV Horizontal Engine 205cc, 900 Series, 9.00 Gross Torque, 3/4in. x 2 27/64in. Shaft, Model# 122032-0536-B8
HOWEVER, the reality is, this is a 40 buck 1976 Horse I
that I have torn completely down, cleaned up 33 years of abuse (parked behind somebodys barn) and repainted. It needs tines and tires yet. The motor just isn't worth saving, but may bring a few $$ on Craig's List. The tranny seems O.K.(I changed the oil and it looked good) and no slop in the shafts). The 66015-OVGA (not available in CA) at 139.99 appears to be exactly the same as the 66014-1VGA at 159.99 which is CA certified.
Regards,
Ford
RI

o

SKU 66015 has maximum torque 11-N.M./2500-RPM as soon as get mini tach that where I run mind I am nut about running engine at max torque lol. For techical questions you call 1-800-444-3353. The engine meets EPA certification (2009). Other features low oil shutdown,longer engine life with bearing supported shaft, and fuel suutoff valve. The manual states this engine made in 2008 for sale in 2009.

o

Use the Harbor Freight engine, you'll never regret it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here