Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
welding

Posted by davie1973 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 19:36

i have a mig welder and using this for small jobs are the home. my question is the mig welding gun has a nozzle at the end and i want to take it off,and replace the welding tip.....instructions say to turn counter clockwise as you are pulling out. i tried this and it seems to be stuck..any info to take this nozzle off would be for me thanks davie1973, ok to contact me at davie1973@bellsouth.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: welding

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 6:27

My mig has two removable parts. The air shield and the smaller copper tip inside of it. Both can get slag and corrosion around them or on the threads, but both should unscrew with a pliers.

I'm surprised you never had the wire burn to the tip before, necessitating the tip's removal earlier in life.

Here's one tip I learned years ago. The shielding tip is often 1/2" longer than the welding tip itself. I trimmed my shield back so it's only 1/4" beyond the end of the welding tip. This allows you to get closer to the work and inside corners for better penetration. It also lets slag into the shielded area easier, so keep a screwdriver handy to clean out the slag often, or use anti-slag spray.

I use Never Seize on the threads of the gas shield, as well.

There's alot to learn about welding and if you have a chance, take a course at a local community college. I was welding for 20 years before I went to take a short course and was surprised at all the technical stuff I didn't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here