Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmiller463

Craftsman chainsaw starts and dies

Gmiller463
9 years ago

I have an older 18" 40cc chainsaw. It was running well until I accidentally dragged it behind the garden tractor with a bunch of limbs. After the "drag trip" it wouldn't start. I took it apart, cleaned the carb, found a small hole in the end of one of the fuel lines. I shortened that fuel line so it connects tightly. It used to start by priming it, choking it, and putting the throttle lock on (as per directions). I took it to a small engine repair place and they gave up. I got it to the point where it will start (but only with the choke off and the throttle lock off). It runs for about 10 seconds and dies. Dies right away when I give it gas.

Does this sound like it's a mixture issue? Not sure if the small engine place adjusted them.

Or is this a carb rebuild kit issue (replacing the "bladder" type gasket, etc.)

Does the fact that it runs for a bit mean that the bladder is ok (not sure how the little trip around the yard could have affected the bladder?)

Comments (4)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Please ID whoâÂÂs saw it is with the Craftsman Name on it and approx what year model. A picture, model number, links to the saw would help.

Look close for physical damages as the fuel line, there must be more (bends/cracks Etc, snug carb to case screws). The damaged fuel line could be pointing to a problem of a damaged carb gasket leaking. Look for linkage damage. Try to post some close pics of the full carb to saw at all angles possible. IMO itâÂÂs an ext problem due to what caused the problem. You will have it fixed by doing all of this. Good Luck! Please report your results

• Gmiller463
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a craftsman model #358.360130. I followed loger's advice and started looking for things that could have happened during the "drag". I found the fuel filter disconnected and a decent clog in a carb jet. Still no go (but I did get it to run longer). If I turn up the idle screw, I can get it to run for about 30 seconds, but as soon as I give it gas, it dies. I was about to order a new carb and fuel lines, but saw an article suggesting that it might be the spark arrestor that's clogged. That's my next stop.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

1. It sounds as if the dragging might have disturbed some trash in the carb. How often do you cleaned the carb or is it as needed from performance. Sawdust usually ends up in the fuel tank. If you tried to start it while the filter was off, it could have sawdust in the carb.

2. I can not remember if there is a fine fuel screen in the carb but it would be quick and easy to see. Plus, you could rem your adjustment screws and use fine wire and compressed carb cleaner to flush and verify âÂÂALLâ the ports in the carb are open.

3. What are the carbâÂÂs adjustment turns on your carb mixture screws?

4. The pic attach is of a 70s Poulan S25 that were also sold as Craftsman.

5. I can send a post showing the fine screen inside a carb if you are interested. Do you or others know if the fine screen is in your carb?

6. If the spark arrester is clogged. I hope it was shared that heating it with a lighter Etc will char the carbon and brush off easy.

• Gmiller463
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the spark arrestor was fine. I thought the primer bulb was working ok, but just realized that it barely puts any fuel in the carb. The bulb works ok when the carb is off and compressed carb cleaner can only go into the carb when the bladder end is off. It seems like there's a clog to the port that should be filling the carb when I prime it. Pushing the primer more than 2 or 3 times creates a vacuum?

I tried to find a path for a wire to the port that seems clogged, but nothing seems to go there. I tried pushing a small wire through the copper colored "bushing?" that can be seen in the picture.