Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl 018 Starting Problem

Posted by WisCheeseHead none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 20:40

I will try and cover all things checked/replaced.
Dealer replaced Fuel line and filter. Sat for 2 weeks and wouldn't start. I replaced gas and carb. Saw started right away and ran a few minutes and stopped. Replaced fuel line, filter and Stihl Motomix fuel (92). Replaced the ignition module today. Saw started on the 2nd pull and slowly quit. Before I run out and buy a new saw,
the new carb has a "tower" and o-ring. The old one did not have this feature. The new carb # is 1130 120 0603 B. Is this just a "dummy" not used on all saws?
I love mechanical work on cars, but this has me really "stumped". (No pun..)

Thank you for any thoughts!

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl 018 Starting Problem

The new style air filter boxes are dirt cheap on e-bay that
handle the newer style carbs, I sell them there as well.

But I would suggest you put the old coil back on, as the
newer coils are different from the old ones, and also, pull the muffler and look at the piston, tell us what you see.

Fish

o

Ordered the new air filter housing 1130 140 2800.
I was using the old box with the new carb design. DUH!
Hope this solves the problem.

o

Check (if it can be done) the fuel cap for a plugged up vent. Pretty hard to tell if it is so I have just replaced the cap a time or two in the past.

This doesn't happen often but when all else has been looked at...

Harry K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here