Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem starting Stihl 032AV chainsaw

Posted by anthonyg_ma z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 20:47

I'm trying to get a hand-me-down Stihl 032AV cleaned up and running, and have run into a bit of a problem. If I pull on the starter cord without the spark plug in place, it will turn over with a nice, smooth motion. If I put the spark plug in, even just barely hand-tight, and yank on the starter cord, it binds up within the first half-to-3/4 pull. After that the cord will not move unless I remove the spark plug again. The saw was running just yesterday. It has a fresh oil/gas mix. Any ideas as to what may be causing this to bind up? I'm at a loss when it comes to this type of stuff :-)
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem starting Stihl 032AV chainsaw

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 10:58

Is the spark plug the correct one for the saw? Maybe the piston is hitting it. Also, remove the muffler and check for carbon buildup. That is a high compression saw, pull the rope slowly until you feel resistance then give it a short quick pull. Hope this helps.

o

Canguy, thnks for the tips! It turns out I was pulling too quickly on the starter cord, and that appears to have been causing it to bind up. If I do as you mentioned, pull the rope slowly until it starts to catch, then give a quick pull, it works fine. It just takes some getting used to I guess!

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 22:58

Sure makes the fingers sting when it kicks back doesn't it? LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here