Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Hudson Sprayer, 1 gal, Model #60152*, anybody use one?

aliska12000
15 years ago

So back she comes to the tool shed, didn't know what forum to ask my question(s) in.

I bought the sprayer (see link, not sure the right model, looks like mine). Scroll down about 1/3 of the page. I'm not the only one I see from online reviews, but couldn't figure out from the diagram how to put it together properly so I could operate it safely. So I took it back to the hardware store, and they helped me. Then I took a photo which I printed out & will store w/it for when I have to disassemble and clean it - if I keep it.

I thought it safest to do a trial run with some diluted kelp, good thing because twice I turned something the wrong way and got some in my face, also a bunch on my legs when I didn't turn anything wrong.

My main problem is that little white nozzle you screw to control spray pattern and how many times to pump the thing. I took it around the garden spraying mostly lilies and roses. I can dial it to a pretty fine stream, but instead of a nice fan spray, I get a fizzlely drizzly sort of pattern. It works but is annoying. A call to the company 800# they want you to leave a message and call you back, may do that.

The other problem was I wasn't sure how many times to pump the thing, decided 8 to 10 was about right, and it put out quite a bit B4 I lost the pressure.

Now I'm wondering if I want to risk it for Roundup and Orthonex and possibly other more hazardous stuff or if I should return it and get a different type. I'd rather not have one that attaches to a hose because that limits me to as far as the hose will reach, no good for Roundup, plus more clumsy w/dragging hose. Am thinking about just going and getting the pre-mixed RU like I saw my neighbor using with ease rather than fooling around with mixing the concentrate I bought and can't return.

I do like the one gallon size and can carry it pretty much with ease but not sure if I should lift it by that handle which should be locked while spraying, a little confusing. It's sitting outside drying, was too breezy for anything but the foliar I did and in which drift wasn't particularly an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Weed 'n Bug Eliminator Model #60152

Comments (5)

• popcornhill
    15 years ago

Aliska I think I would empty the tank, clean it out real good and then put nothing but water in it. Get on a dry surface like a drive way. Pump it up maybe ten times to start. Try it out and see what pattern you get. Keep twisting the nozzle head until you get the pattern you are looking for and then mark it or see what setting it is at. You might have to release the pressure several times and pump up different times until you get your starting point....but at least you won't be getting anything on you but water while trying. Wish I could just tell you the setting but I don't know....good luck........DT

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot, DT, that is exactly what I will do. I'm sure I'm getting enough pressure; trouble-shooter recording at Hudson said something about vaseline for a better sealant around some circular thing just above the threads if you take the center part out to maintain pressure, think that is not a problem yet.

Since I had safe stuff in it, I did twist it several ways, but will try again w/plain water and see if I can get a fan, maybe clean it out better, shouldn't be clogged at this point. That's what the diagram in the box shows it should do when opened up just a little, more and it goes into a fine stream, closed all the way shut, it won't spray at all.

I rinsed it out fairly well but can't figure out how to jet water through the tube, guess I have to unscrew something to do that. With the kelp and rinsing as well as I did, it should be safe to go ahead and put water in it and experiment.

If I do use something more potent, I'll have to clean it better. They even recommend buying 2, one for safe things and one for pesticides. I'd rather not go that route when I'm not thrilled with it yet. I can use safe stuff in the sprinkling can and just use the sprayer for the other if I get comfortable enough with it and dress better, should get some kind of safety goggles after I found out one slip and it sprays into your face, ugh.

If I do use RU in it, I will really have to clean it out properly before using Orthonex or any other pesticide you spray on plants.

• masiman
    15 years ago

Aliska,

I have two Hudson sprayers. I don't have as much a need for them as I use to but I use them occasionally. What I like about the Hudson when I bought these ~10 years ago was the wand construction and the availability of replacement parts. I have not had to replace anything but I have had to take apart the sprayers to clean gunk out of them.

One finicky part about these sprayers (I don't know if it is particular to Hudson but I would think not), is that the path to the nozzle must be clear. If I had dribbly non-controllable patterns I knew I had stuff in the path, most likely the wand, near the nozzle. At that point I take off the screw on nozzle completely and poke at inspect the liquid path. Typically there is something in there and then I use a paper clip to try to clear it. Then, before replacing the nozzle, I give a quick spray to ensure I get two solid streams from the tip and also to clear out any other potential clogs. I screw the tip back on and pump again.

I have found that when full, you need to pump more frequently. As it gets empty, you do not have to pump as frequently.

I also found that after use I have to be careful opening the sprayer because the pressure release when unscrewing the cap will send the liquid up at your face. Now I lay it on its side or point away from and look away when opening. Also opening very slowly, like a soda bottle that you know is shaken helps control the pressure release. I also try to limit the number of pumps I put into when I know I am getting near the end of spraying. One trick I have thought of to release the pressure that I have not done is to turn the sprayer upside down and spray. The liquid in the pickup up tube will spray out but after that you should just be spraying air. I'd open up the nozzle a bit also to speed the process if you do that.

Good luck.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

Very good info above. I have a couple of sprayers also and I'm constantly getting grass or something inside of the sprayer wand tip, which I then have to do like the above poster and screw off the the wand tip and clean it out (if you have a wand you can do this). Also, I probably have a little more strength than you, but I generally pump up until I can't hardly get the pump handle down to lock it...then I know that's enough until next time to pump.

Practicing with water is a very good idea. Let's you get familiar with the sprayer and you also get to know which pattern you can handle the best for different situations.

• hostile56_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I can get pressure any more. Someone can help?

I've use it like 3 time but suddently it does not pump air anymore, it seem averything thight.