Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimmer Blowing out rubber pieces

Posted by gght z7a AL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 21:26

I thought it was flooded, so I took out the spark plug and pulled the rope a few times to clean out any gas. I noticed small remnants of rubber fly out of the spark plug hole. The pieces are a soft, black rubber, somewhat latex in texture but thicker than a latex glove. What do you think that is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimmer Blowing out rubber pieces

Please post a picture of the rubber.

o

• Posted by gght z7a AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 23:32

pic attached

o

Look in the breather and etc to see what might be missing. If it was run w/o a breather, what could have been sucked into the cylinder? Was this discovered due to the trimmer having problems? If so, what was happening or had happened. Is the trimmer still running OK?

o

If the air cleaner has always been in place, and it is
a fairly new machine, then it could have gotten there
at the factory. Wipe one of the pieces off with some
solvent to see if it was originally black, or was
carbonized during the previous running of the machine.
Strange. . . very strange.

o

Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 21:24

It's apparently Black RTV Silicon gasket.

o

Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 21:24

Ok, I broke down the engine and I found the source of the "latex" It appears to be a gasket on the cylinder cover. See pic. Forgive my ignorance as I've never broken down an engine beyond the carb but is this a gasket you buy or is it one which is self made with some "liquid" gasket material?

o

The Brand, Model and Parts List/Diagram should answer the questions. Please share what you find. I would say it ran too hot but the other parts are not showing excess heat from what I can see. The type of gasket will be interesting.

My latest crankcase related experiment was interesting. The cyl and crankcase was one casting with a side cover vs Removing A Jug. There Is Some Interesting New STUFF Out There!!

o

Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 21:28

There is no gasket part number for the cover, so I bought some Black RTV silicone gasket but will have to wait on putting it on because I had to order a piston ring. I broke one of them or it was brittle one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here