Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docrx_gw

electric log splitters

docrx
18 years ago

Hi- Anyone have any opinion or are using a Fisch or Ryobi electric log spltter. Thanks doc Rx

Comments (80)

• lszk
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's been a while since my last posting - I'm writing with some additional input for those seeking an electric splitter.

I had a chance to see the Bachtold Brothers HE-21 'upclose'[at Power Center in Bloomsburg PA]... and am not impressed the bicycle type wheels and sheet metal construction... this would not last long in my woodlot.

Also let a message with Doug Davidson at Ramsplitter re H16E:

1. cycle time
    2. gauge of steel used
    3. advantage of 3 1/2 vs 3" cylinder

I'll all advised when I get the info

Leon

• maineman
    17 years ago

Leon,

I notice that your original link regarding SellCom dumping RamSplitter has been updated to include that September 1st was a deadline for the instigation of a lawsuit against SellCom by Rockford Fabrications (makers of RamSplitter), to be followed by a possible counter suit. Have you heard anything recent on that?

I am still considering the Bachtold HE-21. At first I was "put off" by the bicycle wheels, but like on a high-wheel mower, they would be a bit easier to move over rough terrain. If they did fail, they could be replaced easily enough. I am a bit concerned by your observation about the Bachtold's sheet metal construction. I do like their log tray, which holds and returns the big piece of the wood for convenient repositioning for another split. Perhaps my usage will not be as severe as your woodlot would.

I haven't ruled out the RamSplitter H16E, but some of the negative emails on SellCom's website are quite troublesome to me. And any lawsuits could complicate things.

I see that Omega has a 2007 logsplitter model.

MM

• mga+split_uvm_edu
    17 years ago

Has anyone looked at the RamSplitter HV16E? The horizontal/vertical version?

It's not on their website, but they are selling it on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOG-SPLITTER-HYDRAULIC-16-TON-GAS-ELECTRIC-HORZ-VERTCAL_W0QQitemZ280040132947QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Doug says they did have some supply and quality problems last year, but that things are just fine now. He says it was due to growing from 50 units a year to many hundred per year.

In any case, any opinions about a vertical option in addition to horizontal splitting?

• maineman
    17 years ago

Mike,

I think it would be easier to load really heavy logs into the vertical configuration. But it looks like it would be harder to load the HV16E in the horizontal position. That seems like more of a transporting position. Did Doug say why they are marketing on eBay?

MM

• mgainvt
    17 years ago

He says the horizontal/vertical unit can be used in either position just fine. Although when used in horizontal mode, the lots fall at your feet. Isn't that the case with all horizontal/vertical splitters though?

No, he didn't say why they are marketing on ebay... but his feedback there is 99% positive...

• maineman
    17 years ago

Mgainvt, Mike,

I wonder how they handle the engine mount on the vertical/horizontal models. I suppose an electric motor isn't too fussy about how it is oriented, but a gasoline engine needs to stay at least approximately upright.

"Although when used in horizontal mode, the lots fall at your feet. Isn't that the case with all horizontal/vertical splitters though?"

Some splitters have a standard or optional tray that receives at least one of the split pieces. For example, the Bachtold HE-21 has a tray that follows the ram to keep the main piece handy for repositioning to split off another piece. The split-off pieces fall on the ground or floor on the far side of the machine. This arrangement is particularly efficient if you are splitting a log into more than two pieces.

There is a logsplitter workbench that carries this a step further and provides an aid for loading a log onto a horizontal splitter.

MM

• 4thought_bellsouth_net
    17 years ago

On Omega Stores' Log splitters - Be Careful!!!

See http://www.complaints.com/ for details (search for Omega or "Log splitters").

Why do you so innocently believe that a 9 ton splitter is any different than a 4 ton splitter, just because they advertise it thusly? When I got my Omega "9T" (so labeled on the box with a stick on label pasted over "7T") I went to their web site and found their parts list. They only have one -- same part numbers for all models! I paid a couple of hundred extra bucks for a label on the shipping box!!

In fact the Chinese-made Omega splitter looks suspiciously like the 4 ton splitter at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Fisch-LS-8000-4-Ton-Electric-Splitter/dp/B00006AVZC)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Leon,

Thanks for the info about Omega Stores. They should answer their phone and email. I do want to comment on your complaint, in which you said,

" I questioned why the three models would have different forces when the motor appeared to be the same. The representative claimed there was a difference in the hydraulics. However, I later found a parts list online at OmegaStores and all three models have the same component parts!"

It's possible that the 9-ton model could have everything the same, except have a slightly larger diameter hydraulic cylinder. The electric motor and the hydraulic pump could be the same between the different models, but a slightly larger diameter on the hydraulic cylinder could easily make the difference between 7 tons and 9 tons of force. Since you have the same motor and hydraulic pump, you get the extra ram force by trading for a slightly longer cycle time from the larger capacity hydraulic cylinder. The delivered ram force is equal to the hydraulic fluid pressure times the surface area of the hydraulic piston in the hydraulic cylinder.

That was the case on the Ramsplitter 12-ton electric and the Ramsplitter 16-ton electric that I was considering. Simply by substituting a nominal 3½" diameter hydraulic cylinder for a nominal 3" diameter hydraulic cylinder, with everything else the same, except possibly for a decal, the 12-ton Ramsplitter model becomes a 16-ton model.

I was willing to trade a few seconds of cycle time for an extra 4 tons of ram force. Of course, if a person never needed the extra 4 tons of ram force, they might be better off with the 12-ton model and a slightly faster cycle time.

The poor packing and the damage in transit that you experienced are not limited to Omega Stores. I have experienced the same problem with several other companies as well. A lot of reasonably well-respected online stores don't repack their imports from China in UPS-standard packaging. They simply slap shipping labels on the boxes they imported. If you or I attempted to ship something like that via UPS, they wouldn't let us do it and we would have to use much better cushioned shipping boxes. The companies apparently get special treatment from the shippers.

Obviously Omega Stores shouldn't have put you through all that hassel to get a working "9T" splitter. However, they may have used an onhand "7T" box to ship you an actual 9-ton rated splitter. It depends primarily on the inside diameter of the hydraulic cylinder on your unit. Let us know if you have any more trouble with the unit. Omega's poor customer support to you will probably cost them a sale of their Logsplitter Workbench to me. I do get annoyed by companies who don't answer their phones or emails.

I still haven't decided on which log splitter I will purchase. I'm undecided between Ramsplitter and Bachtold. Fortunately we have an onhand supply of stacked split wood, because there is a chill in our Maine air.

MM

• paul_beane_org
    17 years ago

The best electric logsplitter is the Super Split. The motor drives twin flywheels which power a rack and pinion ram. The cycle time is less than 3 seconds. It slams the wood instead of pushing it. Much like a hand maul slams the wood. The ram is on a return spring and comes back very quickly. No bid HP requirement to keep the flywheels spinning. Hydraulic splitters have a long recycle time. The Super Split is not inexpensive and may be more productive than you require. Their site has an impressive video clip of the machine in operation.

• delcogreg
    17 years ago

Just a point of information for anyone interested in the original (now old) post - I bought a Fisch splitter second hand a while ago and I finally got around to trying it out this weekend. It's obviously not in the same class as many of the other splitters discussed in this thread, but I thought it worked surprisingly well for such a compact splitter (hardly takes up any room in the garage). It takes a little longer on big stuff, but I was able to split some logs that were way bigger than it is rated for (all that I tried). It isn't the speediest thing in the world, but you make up some time because you can stack as you go (no pieces go flying out of reach). It is also nice that you can also get pretty much the exact cuts you want on each log - something I suspect you can do with almost any power splitter though.

I don't think it is for someone who heats with wood, but it is probably fine for the average homeowner who runs a woodstove or fireplace on the weekends and the occasional weekday evening. I'll need to give it at least one more run before I decide for sure, but I think I am going to be glad I bought it.

Greg

• canguy
    17 years ago

We see a machine called Gripo that appears virtually identical to the Super Split although the electric option is not available. An electric motor would be nice but there would be a fairly heavy starting load. It is fast and they strongly recommend that it is designed for a one person operation. A second pair of hands loading could get badly hurt if the operator is careless.
    The beam needs to be kept clean of debris and sprayed with Pam or something similar to keep pitch from building up. Otherwise the ram tends to hang up on the return stroke. Also there are some small bearings on the ram under the beam lip that need to be replaced fairly often. They reduce friction as the ram is forced up against the beam on the power stroke. The machine is impressive to watch and will process a lot of wood in a hurry.

• maineman
    17 years ago

The Super Split and the Gripo aren't attractive to me for several reasons. The cost is one. The noise is another. If some Sunday morning I am in the garage splitting and re-splitting some logs for wood and kindling for the fireplace, I don't want to be making a lot of noise and waking up the household.

And what good is a 3-second cycle time to me when it can take me ten times that long to position the next log? I'm already the bottleneck in the operation, so a 3-second mechanical cycle time versus 20 seconds or so for a hydraulic machine doesn't sound that attractive to me.

MM

• scottsman_2006
    17 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good electric log splitter? I was thinking about ordering from OmegaStores, but after reading the complaint against them, have decided against it. I am looking for a splitter that can split oak, and from what it sounds like, the 4 ton ryobi won't do the job. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

• maineman
    17 years ago

Scottsman,

"I am looking for a splitter that can split oak, and from what it sounds like, the 4 ton Ryobi won't do the job. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Ramsplitter electrics should be able to split oak with 12-ton or 16-ton capacities. Presumably the Bachtold with a 12-ton capacity could do likewise.

Have you read all the messages and links above? If so, like me, you should be a bit confused by now. Mike Austin provided the link to the new eBay sales outlet for the horizontal/vertical Ramsplitter:

{{gwi:315939}}{{gwi:315940}}

The horizontal/vertical configuration is a new choice in electric log splitters. In the vertical mode, it might take up less space in your garage and be a bit easier to load logs onto. I haven't ruled it out, although I haven't seen a picture of what the electric version looks like in the vertical position and in the horizontal position. The pictures show the gas version.

Mike Austin made the comment that, "Doug says they did have some supply and quality problems last year, but that things are just fine now. He says it was due to growing from 50 units a year to many hundred per year."

Doug represents Ramsplitter. I don't know if the eBay development means that previous sales channels for Ramsplitter have closed down. Ramsplitter did have a dealer network of sorts. You might check to see if you have a "Ramsplitter dealer" near you and see if they have anything in stock that they could show you.

I am undecided between one of the electric Ramsplitters or the Bachtold HE-21.

MM

• dmullen
    17 years ago

Mantis sells one and so does DR.

If I was going to get one, I would feel comfortable with those companies. This web site also has a few references to Craftsman or Sears splitters and Home Depot splitters but our local stores do not seem to stock those. They might be good too and if they weren't, the return policies at both companies is reasonable.

Trouble is that with shipping of an splitter , they are within a few hundred dollars of a much larger gas model locally with no shipping charges.

• maineman
    17 years ago

Dmullen,

Thanks for pointing out the DR and the Mantis. However, the DR splitter is rated at only 6 tons and the Mantis SwiftSplit is rated at only 5 tons. Neither is a lot more powerful than the Ryobi, and both would be very questionable against large oak logs. I personally am not considering anything less than 12 tons.

MM

• dmullen
    17 years ago

Sorry, I thought that the poster was looking for a smaller unit.

I would like a larger one too and like you, would want at least 12 tons just in case. That Ramsplitter still looks good but after reading that negative posting, I would be cautious.

• 4thought_bellsouth_net
    17 years ago

Maineman,

Yes, I agree that the face area of the hydraulic piston will determine the force and that it is an exact trade-off with speed. Given, that the 9 ton model ought not to cost a lot more than the 5 ton -- unless there was also some structural beefing up. However, I remain skeptical since Omega Stores only has the one parts list. See http://www.omegastores.com/splitterparts.htm

Note that the part number, price and description remain the same regardless of which model you tell them you have.

Also the box was labeled 7t and the book inside. A 9T label was stuck over the top and a note was inside the box saying something to the effect that the new book hadn't been printed yet.

I believe that the claims by the splitter vendors ought to be verified in some way. The Connecticut government would be a likely candidate to do that but they apparently are not interested as they never responded to the report I sent them.

But back to your point: most consumers do not realize that force and speed are an inverse trade off for a given power (the motor horsepower). We could have any force we want if we are willing to wait maybe all day to split a log! So, that means that "force" is an incomplete specification -- we need to know the speed of the ram also. I have never seen that posted by any of the vendors.

Anyway, I am stuck with mine and that reminds me, I need to get off this computer and get out there and do some splitting!

• maineman
    17 years ago

Leon,

"...we need to know the speed of the ram also. I have never seen that posted by any of the vendors."

Some vendors give the cycle times for their splitters, which is the time to complete a split and return to the ready position for insertion of the next log.

"...I remain skeptical since Omega Stores only has the one parts list."

You're right. Changing the splitter model selection has no effect on the parts shown or their prices. Maybe that Omega web page is broken.

"...I need to get off this computer and get out there and do some splitting!"

At least your Omega Splitter seems to be working OK, whatever model it actually is.

MM

• tath61
    17 years ago

hello fellow log splitters. I purchased the omega 9ton about a year ago. ya it will split 20 x24 of willow but a more realistic example is a 14x14 of most any wood.As far as service from my omega dealer I would rate as fair.they do reply though.Now a really big tip there is a vent screw on the front top nearside if the hydro levers are on you right side.this has to be loosened for relief, I did not know this the first 3 times i used it, I think i over heated the pump.it dramtically reduced the force. Another grip I have is try to find the recomended oil for this unit, It is not readily avalible.Do any of you guys have any suggestions at mabye a auto parts store what the right oil might be? Thanks

• johnnie_y
    16 years ago

I've been obtaining data on various electric log splitters and just as many of you above have become numb with too much information. Surprise though that the last entry was almost a year ago, has the subject be lost? At this time I'm looking at the Pow R Kraft via NorthlineExpress.com as it is the cheapest with no shipping and handling charges.

• maineman
    16 years ago

{{gwi:315941}}
    Johnnie,

The Pow 'R' Kraft splitter may be worth the money, but it is most likely a Chinese import of questionable quality, and there are obvious untruths in its description, which would be very troublesome to me.

For example, its single phase electric motor is described as "15 Amps-3 Horsepower", which a little calculation would show is an impossibility, at least here in the United States with standard 110-volt or 120-volt electric power. It would require a lot more voltage to get 3 horsepower out of 15 amps. Their description is also oddly worded, indicating that it is a translation from another language. I wonder how much satisfaction you would get from their two year warranty, and exactly who would you be dealing with? I think you should shop around a little more, or at least realize there are concerns about the Pow 'R' Kraft.

"Surprised though that the last entry was almost a year ago, has the subject been lost?"

There have been a few other message threads on log splitters (as a forum search for log splitters will show), but not a lot of new information. A couple of spammers pushing Omega log splitters came here several weeks ago and left a lot of bogus messages touting Omega, but the forum administrators purged most of those. The Omega outfit has accumulated a lot of customer complaints, so I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole, even before their spammer crew hit this place. At one time they were one of my candidates, but the customer complaints and the spammer crew ended that. I think their products are also Chinese imports.

MM

• wolfbird
    16 years ago

Does anyone have some knowledge about or experience with the DR electric/hydraulic wood splitter? There are two models: 5-ton and 6-ton. Also, I'd like some input as to whether it would have enough power to split oak and elm along with other hard woods which have branches and are not straight grained wood. I've read all the postings in the forum and based on that input the only other electric splitter I'd consider is the 12 ton Ramsplitter, however, I'm uneasy about it due to posted comments. What has been entirely missing from comment has been the two DR electric wood splitters. They seem to be solidly built, reliable and efficient splitters. Does this translate to a splitter that in fact does the job in the real world? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• malcolmd
    16 years ago

An enlightening series of postings! I was all set to order the OmegaStores 6 ton Electric Splitter and have held off on the purchase. I suppose we get what we pay for! It would appear that the consensus is to only buy a splitter that has at least 12 tons of thrust?

Would the Omega Splitter for $500 be worth it, they have a special on at the moment? I need to split a variety of wood, some hard (oak, black cherry) some birch and some softer wood such as pine.

Have enjoyed the various perspectives, thanks.

• maineman
    16 years ago

Malcolmd,

The majority of complaints filed at complaints.com in the category of Electric Log Splitters have been against Omega. That alone eliminated them from my list of candidates.

MM

• edsacre
    16 years ago

wolfbird,
    My father in law got a DR 5 ton splitter last year & it has been working fine.
    Him & I have been helping his daughter split up a few trees she had taken down. One was a 40 year old oak a good 30" at the base. You just can't split those pieces down the middle usually, but you sort of need to work it from the edges. Sometimes a knot will stymie us, but I take that piece since I have a large fireplace that can handle it.
    I imagine the 6 ton unit would work a bit better, but nothing has broken on his yet & we have really put it to the test.
    In general it goes through smaller stuff fairly easily. We have also been splitting maple & walnut. The large 30" trunk pieces need 2 people, but the smaller stuff can be done alone. With 2 people working it you can get a real production line going.

• pacchiraku
    16 years ago

Hello, I saw your comment on the Omega log splitters on the Garden Web site forum. I am so glad I saw that because I can't seem to find anything much other than the DR Power log splitters and the Omegastores websites. I noticed the Omegastores web site states they don't sell the 4 and 5 ton splitters as "their customers" state they just don't do the job. You got the 9 ton, just don't have that kind of moolah, was thinking on the 7 ton. This female has no common sense about mechanics on anything, have you heard about the 7 ton from anyone and its reliability of Omega's under 9 ton as you have?

• dmullen
    16 years ago

I saw an ad this week from Mantis and it looks like they are selling a small electric splitter.

Also, last spring, I was in a local Home Depot and they had just closed out one of theirs for the season and they said that they were not discontining them, just making more floor space available for other items that were in season.

• makeitsnow
    16 years ago

I am considering purchase of an electric splitter due to space and noise. I'm used to a gas 25 ton and find it hard to believe a 5,6, or even 12 ton can come close to enough power to bust a log that makes a gas unit groan or stop. I've read all the above threads and some good info thanks. No one has experience with the DR 6 ton which I'm considering. Pricey at $775 total but the only one that doesn't take both hands for controls and safety switch of the smaller units. 1.8hp and 2.8" ram. The Ramsplitter has 1.5hp and 3" which gives it double the tonnage? Come on....Is it worth an additional $65? Maybe. It looks more like a real splitter but the DR has a 6 month return policy that no one else has plus a 2 year warrantee. I hope I'm not wasting my time by ordering then having to send it back. Anyone have experience with the DR 6 ton?

• maineman
    16 years ago

makeitsnow,

"I was wondering if you bought one and which one did you decide. I'm trying to decide between the Ramsplitter and DR 6 ton. DR has 6 months financing and 6 months return."

In response to your email, no, I haven't purchased a splitter yet. There have been serious complaints about the RamSplitter here in this forum, as you may have seen. We made it through the winter with the split wood we had on-hand, so I will readdress this decision next fall. I think DR has a better reputation for dealing with customer complaints than RamSplitter has. If RamSplitter is still welding their products together without use of a welding jig, as has been suggested in this forum, it is likely that their "free hand" welding will continue to produce occasional defective products. It seems inconceivable to me that they would not use a welding jig. I like their high-ton electric specs.

If I were going to purchase an electric splitter right now, which I am not, it would probably be the Bachtold Brothers 12-ton model HE-21 that I mentioned in my message back on Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 5:27. I like the fact that it has a moving tray that returns the un-split portion of the log to you for convenient repositioning for the next split. It is rather expensive, though. And it doesn't have the ease of positioning that a vertical splitter has.

I think there is a good chance that the DR would handle most of your logs and, for those (hopefully few) that it can't handle, you could always resort to the old "sledge and wedge" method.

MM

• techdave
    16 years ago

Hi guys, if you need an electric, just get the
    Dr 6 ton and b done with it. My FIL go tone and does lots of Quercus kellogii with it.

Its not my 27 ton gasser MTD, but as others have pointed out most pieces dont need that much power. Unit is solid, and if a piece stalls whacing on the back of the piece wiht 5 pound sledge usually gets it thru. It also helps to nibble from edge in on big stuff, and angle the piece to start the split on tough logs.

Again, not a gasser, bu tnice lil unit. If I did not get mine for almost free, I would have been bummed they did not have Dr electric-hydraulics back when I got mine.

Ps the guy who posted aobut how they work made a great post!

pss, i usually dont like Dr stuff, too yuppie-pricey to suit me. This thing is worth it, IMHO.

• ngzcaz
    16 years ago

Ok.. since gas and electric were mentioned on this post, How about adding an air powered splitter to the mix ? A 12 ton is available for $ 349.00 plus 50 shipping. Just type in air powered splitters on a regular search and a few will pop up.
    Basically a hydraulic jack powered by air. West coast minisplitters or something like that.
    A 2 hp compressor is needed & 90 psi which almost any unit will do unless its a real cheapo that hangs from the wall. Its this one or a 7 ton electric because of the price. Would like to see a video but all they have is a couple of still pictures.

• gus668
    15 years ago

My electric motor has given up.is it poss to convert a log splitter to a manual type without the motor. Ive seen a manual lever type log splitters without motors with force of around 7 tonne. Is this possible to convert & how would it be done??? any ideas??

• maineman
    15 years ago

Gus,

I don't think it would be feasible, because the hydraulic pump is rotary and the manual types use a lever/piston arrangement with a check valve. It would probably be easier to simply replace the electric motor.

MM

• makeitsnow
    15 years ago

Hi guys,

I bought the DR 6 ton. It has it's limitations and slow but solid. Disappointed to see made in China. New trees cut down and it would split up to an 8 inch piece. 10 or so stopped it but the wood is green. Heavy unit at 170 pounds, it's not gonna fall over. Real low to the ground makes it hard on the back. The optional stand would be nice but would be difficult getting it on and off. Pretty pricey at almost $800 with shipping. Six month return policy but have to pay the $100 freight back now. I'll mostly be re-splitting delivered loads into smaller pieces and making kindling so should do what I need it for.

• makeitsnow
    15 years ago

Update on my DR log splitter. Works well for medium size logs and great for making kindling but started dripping oil out of the shaft in the front seal. I called and was told it's not being produced any more but had a few left. For warrantee I had to upgrade to an 8 ton gas model and pay shipping again or they would send me one of the last instock 6 tons for replacement. I took the replacement, no cost, sent to my door, and didn't want my old one. Good deal for sure until the new one breaks down.

• lumpy2009
    15 years ago

I made one out of scrap steel and a few parts....5hp 220vac engine pushing a 10.7GPM single stage pump through a Princess Auto valve. Its hooked to a 2.5'x18' thrust ram from some piece of mill equipment. Splits everything I've put in front of it. I increased the valve pressure to see if it'll push wood thru a cross-split knife and if that doen't work I'll put a 3.5-4' ram on it with a 2stage pump.I noticed that RAMSPLITS largest electric engine is 3hp. Mine should work much easier once I make the other changes.
    Right now it sure does a good job and quiet. I'm going to put it on Utube under Homemade electric woodsplitters

• splitter_2010
    14 years ago

Hi,

A 3hp electric motor is equivalent to like a 11HP gas motor so a 3HP is a heavy duty motor and is more then enough for most people, not to mention the electricity consumption. If you have the ability to build log splitters that is great (wish I was that handy) but after all the costs of materials and time it may not be worth it to some people.

• roger1952
    13 years ago

does anyone know where to get a bark buster log splitter? i have a friend who has one of these and i know they can be dangerous but they sure make light work out of splittin firewood if your careful. any help would be great thanks.

• zen_man
    13 years ago

Roger,

The Bark Buster wood splitter was recalled and discontinued some time ago.

ZM

• ctjayhawker
    13 years ago

Hi, All.
    I have a Central Machinery 4 ton splitter (model 40318), been in a shed for a few years. Pulled it out to do some work, and pffft. Almost nothing. The motor spins up fine, but the ram only moves about an inch and a half. Bleed screw's open. Checked oil--seems to be enough, looks clean. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Chuck

• ewalk
    13 years ago

You may have a air lock , try priming the hyd. pump and cracking the pressure side of the piston hose connection until fluid begins to drain . Ensure to tighten the connection before it reaches the stroke end . You normally require assistance on this procedure and may have to do it multiple times to purge out the air entrainment . If this does not help you may have pump or direction spool valve issues , since you have indicated that the oil reservoir was full and hopefully clean ? Ensure the filter or screen is not clogged .

• marty1234
    12 years ago

i just bought a powerhouse electric 7 ton log splitter. used it about 5 hours yesterday. split probably a cord and a half. (this was taking it off the trailer , splitting, then stacking it, so lot of walking) I was impressed with the splitter. I have been using a maul for the past 2 years and this splitter is a real nice piece of equipment. dont get me wrong it wont split 18 inch diameter stuff or anything but it will handle 12 to 14 inch if it has been seasoning for about 2 months. The powerhouse splitter sits close to the ground and is only 100 pounds so the first thing you want to do is build you a little table to get it to the right height. next there are 2 handles you must hold down to make sure you dont have you hand in the splitter. I made a bracket to hold both handles together. then i made a handle so i didnt have to bend over at all to activate the forward motion of the ram. next you need a good heavy duty 12-2 extension cord about 50 feet long. 19.5 amp motor needs 12-2 and must have a 20 amp breaker. I never tripped the breaker once. when i got a big piece it wouldnt split, instead of sitting the log all the way down in the splitter, i would hold the end up on the wedge so it was only biting about an inch or inch and a half of the wood. it would start splitting then back off on the ram arm and put the log all the way doen in the splitter. it would then split the log. this is for home use and for 400 dollars i cant complain.

• MrWhoopee
    12 years ago

I'm late to this party, but let me add my 2 cents. I have one of the Ryobi electric splitters (Homelite branded from Home Depot, $300) that I have been using for 3 years. I share it with a friend, we each burn about 5 cords per year. It has been absolutely amazing!. I have split 18 in long 28 in. dia. oak rounds with this thing. With the exception of forgetting to open the bleeder screw and add hydraulic oil, it has been completely trouble free. No, it will no split those knotty, forked oak pieces, but the number of pieces I can't split is very small. We cut and split Doug Fir (as large as 36 in. diameter), lodgepole pine, white fir, western cedar and black oak. No gas required, no problems starting, I can pick it up by myself and put it in the back of my little Honda wagon. Not only that, you can hold a conversation while splitting. I did modify it with some very simple foot pedals so I don't have to bend over to run it and I can control the pieces while splitting. I will definitely buy another when this one quits. The reviews at Home Depot are virtually unanimous.

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

1. Harbor Freight Has A Nice Looking Critter! At the address below BUT will it do a decent job.

2. I have an electric Splitter driven by a 1HP 110v motor and hydraulic pump that has split every thing I have put on it. It was given to me and I have no idea what the tonnage is. I try not to split over 24" dia oak unless I take layers from the outside.

3. How would I figure the tonnage if the cyl is 4" dia, 24" long, and a 2" piston? Pump's #1300356 led me to it being a Haldex, gear type, 3,000 psi discharge, 11.000 GPM low flow. I'm seeing approx 2,000 psi of line pressure splitting 12-16" dia oak. My splitter is simular to the H16 Ramsplitter in this thread (close to the top).

Harbor Freight's Splitter is similar to the Pow 'R' Kraft splitter in this thread (closer to the bottom):

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-ton-log-splitter-97113.html

Thanks In Advance if you have info on the tonnage. loger

• RPW2009
    11 years ago

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this thread and wow that's a lot of info!

I've been looking around and thinking about picking up an electric splitter, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

This is the one that has currently caught my eye PowRkraft 65575.

I plan on just using it in my backyard since I'm gonna clear out a bunch of the trees and I want to keep the firewood.

Do you guys have any experience with this website, or PowRkraft?

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I have not used a low end electric log splitter. I have heard and seen some returned due to lack of expected performance. IMO Expected Performance Is The Key! Knowing it�s low end and works best on grade A Select Wood (little of in this area). I doubt it could handle green or seasoned Live Oak and Pecan (our dominants from trimmings/removals). Except, with a 4-6" starter cut with a chainsaw with the low force, it could be challenged. This means low end home use vs commercial use.

The youtube below shows it doing a job on a mountain of wood. I would like to see the mechanics of the unit in use close. A 1 HP Electric 9 -12 ton donor has over impresses me on what it will split. BUT! The stress that I see applied (from the 2" rod X 4" cyl) to split green and solid seasoned Live Oak and Pecan makes me uneasy as to what will give first at times. It very seldom stalls w/o a crack as seasoned wood will have and never with cracks. I will stall it vs letting it reach the 2,500 psi bypass mode. Usually it is splitting at about the 1,000 psi range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=zqZb9Hxh9uY

• splitter_2010
    11 years ago

Electric log splitters have come along way in the last 5 years. You can get anything from the compact 4 ton units up to a full size 20 ton. Full size units are just as powerful and do the same job as the gas units, just powered differently. There are a ton (no pun intended) of electric log splitters here. :-)

One thing to note is all compact electrics are imported mostly from China and they are a lot slower then a full size log splitter BUT with that being said they are of course cheaper (like everything else made in China).

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I did not look through all the post but did see one interested in the 4-way splitting. Northern Tools had adapters that would sit on your wedge to convert it. As a challenge I made my own âto only to split 6-8â long, 6-8â dia logsâ for quick BBQing/Grilling to save some cycles. I would probably purchase there wedges vs all the torching and grinding If I make another (both at the address below).

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz