Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
air compressor tank rusting craftsman 175 psi

Posted by davefrommd maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 23:19

I have about an 8 year old craftsman 175 psi air compressor and I did not drain the water out as I should have. About 1 to 2 gallons of rusty water and bits of rust came out when I finally drained it. Since draining it I used it and my air stapler stopped working. Anyways is there a way I can clean the inside the air tank out and get any loose rust out. My compressor has been used very little. If I flush out the tank and install an inline filter will this solve my problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: air compressor tank rusting craftsman 175 psi

Just drain it every time it's used,it will eventually work all the water out, but keep in mind everytime the compressor starts it's adding more water. An inline filter will help keep the water from tools.
One little tip: remove the drain valve and install a street ell in it's place and add a hose between it and the drain valve. this will make it easier to drain so maybe then it will get drained more often.
HTH,
Mike

o

Don't worry, every compressor is wet in the inside a little more water or less doesn't hurt. It had nothing to do with your stapler as it takes air from the top. Make sure to oil those air tools once in a while. Steve

o

This brings up a a good point. How does one know
when a tank has rusted bad enough to not be safe?
A friend had an old compressor blow up in his garage
and take a chunk out of a block wall. Luckily no
one was in the garage, as it could have been deadly.
From what I have seen, the way the horizontal tanks
are oriented is that the welded seam is on the bottom,
where all the water collects. That seam is where my
friends tank let loose. I know that a good weld is
stronger than the original metal, but how does this
play out when water is added to the equation?
Perhaps tank manufacturers should weld heavy straps
around the tanks to prevent catastrophic explosions.

o

You can sound the seams with a small hammer. Rusted soft spots will not ping but thud.
An air compressor can Make 1 gallon of water per horsepower per day. All that water does not condense in the tank. Much of it condenses in the hose and or tool and the rest passes thru as vapor. Oilling tools is the key. Not just at time of use but before storage oil em up. That bit of water sits in the tool and can ruin it while not being used.
There can be rust getting down the line as that is a common problem. Use a simple particulate filter to protect your tools a bit more.
A coating of rust actually is the only protection a non coated tank has. Remove it and it rust again right away.
Keep em drained and check them with a hammer from time to time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here