Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3/8' or .325 chains?

Posted by thebobdog (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 23:59

I've been reading posts about Stihl vs Husqy, MS 260 vs MS 290, etc. What I don't see is a discussion on whether you all use 3/8" chains or .325? I'm going to buy either a 260 or a 270 and wondered if I should get the larger chain. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3/8' or .325 chains?

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 0:24

The 260 and 270 really don't have the nards to pull the more aggressive chain especially with longer bars. Modern saws depend on speed to get the job done, you want 3/8 chain go with the MS390 or better yet the MS362.

o

CG is right within the Grunt within 50 cc Class Saws for the larger Gauge Chains , especially in Hard Wood (Maple , Oak) cutting. If you wish anti-dirt intrusion
and abrasive resistance in Soft (Pulp) cutting .325 wins out but at a price. As far as Model 260-Pro would be my recommendation over the 270 . As far as the 390 , I would again favour the MS-362 or even better the former MS-361 which is still available within numerous Dealers.

o

Thanks for the advice. That's a big help.

o

You'ld want to run .325 on a 260 or 270 Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here