Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chain saw leaking oil

Posted by krugger (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 0:05

Can anyone help me with a problem I am having with my husky 55 Rancher, Bought it new about a year ago and it has been leaking oil since new. I bought it on ebay so I couldnt take it back for service. The saw runs great, it just leaks all the chain lube out the bottom leaving a puddle every time it sits. What a great little saw, I like it better than my stihl 029 Farm Boss, that I sold to buy this one. The stihl was alittle heavier and had a smaller bar (16) vs (20) on the husky. I just use it for cutting fire wood ( not to mutch here in S. FL ) but the stihl came in quite handy with demo on my large wooden swing-set after Frances or Gene or was it Wilma? Thanks
ps. always make sure that the break is off when you take the side cover off, I learned the hard way, two hours later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chain saw leaking oil

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 0:38

How big is the puddle? All saws will leave a small one as the oil drips off the bar and chain. This is not a common problem with the 55. Remove the bar and chain, clean the saw thoroughly then let it set. Maybe the tank gasket is leaking.

o

Canguy, the saw leaks all of what is in it. I will clean and inspect, was just wondering if anyone might know what the problem likely is, and how to best tackle it. thanks

o

Try what canguy suggested, removing the bar and chain and cleaning the saw very well, make sure to top off the oil tank and leave it set. Its the best way to find the real source of the leak.

o

My new (one year old, used a couple of hours) Husky 350 does the same thing. I will try to check the gasket also. Thanks for the suggestion.

o

If it only leaks after it is switched off it could be a problem with the oil pump syphoning the oil out.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 21:50

Often a problem with an improperly installed or damaged cap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here