Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust in my garden tools!

Posted by rosessecretgarden (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 1:32

Some of my garden tools is filled with rust and they seem so dirty. Should i throw them away and buy new tools or there is some solution to clean rust from my tools?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust in my garden tools!

spray bottle with diesel fuel is about cheapest once get rust soaked it come off next use. Garden hand tools get real cheap this time year .25 at walmarts they clearout for christmas in september being there at right time important if they don't sell it goes to dump new things.

o

Not to offend you, but you must be very careless with your tools. I have some garden hand tools that belonged to my father and date from the late 40's, early 50's and they are perfectly servicable. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. That having been said, a can of WD-40 and a stainless steel pot scrubber will work well for removing rust.

o

I'll be happy to offend you. Clean your tools off and store dry. Makes a world of difference. Of course if your income is disposable then carry on as usual. REJ2

o

IMO depends on the quality of the tools and if it's surface rust or deep pits?

Garden tools are often left out and laying where they was used. This compounds the decaying effect. WHY? well the sun, moisture, and rain takes a big toll on the wooden handles, metal unplated or painted surfaces, and dirt left on metal parts quadruples the decaying effect. Also the rivets or hardware that holds some togather rust and weaken at a much faster rate. Causing the tool handle to break prematurely.

How do I reduce this? As suggested above you clean off your tools after use, apply a oily surface to bare metal and treat the wooden handles, then store them in a dry place, hanging would even be better.

If you do this you will find your garden tools or any other tool including Lawn equipment will last almost your life time.

If you not as thoughtful try buying fiberglass handles or tools that don't have wooden parts to rot or dry out and become weak and break.

o

hey thanks
well i would like to accept this, i have been so neglected from these tools for quite some time.
But i will take good care after cleaning them :)
thanks for your tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here