Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Thrower: Stand Alone or Attachment

Posted by onthebrinck 6 Central New Jersey (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 5:06

I own a year-old Craftsman Tractor. So, I was intrigued by the idea of getting a snowthrower attachment (+/-$1200 with chains, weights etc.) Up until then, I'd had my eye on the Troy Bilt Storm 3090 (+/-$1100). I've got a 100 feet of driveway, a 4-car parking pad and 250 feet of sidewalk and path. Last year's snows were some of the worst ... and with the summer we've had, my luck says this winter will be worse!

What's your opinion? Thanks, guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Thrower: Stand Alone or Attachment

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 12:50

We have an Ariens snowblower, & it does a good job on the driveway and sidewalk. There is very little wheel slippage, even though the driveway is on a grade. Some people using garden tractors with attached snowthrowers have problems with grades, so this might be an issue, depending on how steep your driveway is. You have quite a bit of area to clean up, so I suspect that the tractor with snowthrower combination would be faster.

o

Ont: Snow-blowers can be hard on the Transmissions of Small Lawn Tractors. Check out Your Model thoroughly before buying a Blower which might damage your Unit. If you are in good physical condition go with a Top Line Manufactured Snow blower . I have been using a walk behind for yrs and always have my Drive (Horseshoe) done before my Neighbor with his Cub Cadet Tractor and Blower , with a lot more maneuverability and less hassle . It's more or less up to your climate and obstacles within your clearing area IMHO.

o

• Posted by exmar SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 17:19

Having had both I'd get a walk behind-period. More maneuverable, set up to start in below zero weather, and will go a lot of places a tractor won't. Also, there's the major aggravation of taking off the mower and installing the blower every fall with the reverse in the spring.

I've lived in Northern NY (Oswego) and didn't see any tractor mounted throwers there and that's major snow country.

Another consideration, I've had to dig out tractors when they went off the driveway or whatever, never had to dig out a walk behind. You'll probably also find that a walk behind (dual stage) will throw snow further than a tractor mount.

You mentioned a Craftsman tractor, is it a Garden tractor-large rear wheels? If not even though Sears may say a blower will fit, you're asking for trouble.

Good Luck,

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here