Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf & Lawn Vac's DR/Mighty Mac or other

Posted by bob259 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 9:23

Hi, I have a 10-15 year old Troy-Built Leaf & Chipper vac and can no longer get parts for it e.g. collection bag, transmission cable, suction nose piece. See that DR now has changed from the Billy Goat unit they had in the past and went to the MacKissic Might mac unit.

Any user feed back on these units and availability for parts after the warranty period? Hate to spend over $1K on another unit like the Troy-Built only to be stuck because you can't get parts anymore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf & Lawn Vac's DR/Mighty Mac or other

I can't offer a comparison because, like you, I searched this forum for recommendations and ended up buying a new Mackissic Mighty Mac 12PT10. It was expensive, but I really do love it.

I've had it for over a year and I've learned its idiosyncrasies. Wet stuff will need dry stuff added to prevent the hammermill from clogging. The belt needs to be monitored to keep it tight. Other than that, it's a beast. It chips branches up to 3.5", and it shreds very nicely.

I have an acre with vegetable beds and with enough trees for this to be a useful device. I'm actually looking forward to fall clean-up so that I can produce another pile of mulch/compost. One nice discovery is the use of ramial mulch produced by this device, an unexpected bonus.

The Mackissic has useful features like reversible hammers that allow you to turn the hammers around to get fresh, sharp edges for the hammermill. Mine is on a four wheel cart that I hook up to my lawn tractor to move it to a worksite. I lay down a tarp when it's on the lawn and grind up a bunch of stuff, then it goes directly to where it gets composted or used as mulch.

I would consider a Crary Bearcat as an alternative to this level of chipper/shredder. I do see Mackissics on Craigslist from time to time, but the availability is better in the spring than the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here