Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weedeater GTI 17 xp line timmer - auto feed ?

Posted by rkpatt (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 9:31

I was recently given an old but rarely used Weedeater GTI 17 XP curved shaft gas line trimmer by a neighbor without the manual. I changed the brittle fuel line and it started right up and runs great . However, I am having a problem with the "SensorFeed TM" automatic feed line head . It doesn't seem to feed properly . I have double checked the routing of the line accord to the diagram inside the head and found that I have done it correctly . Maybe there is a part missing or broken (like a spring ?). Would someone here familiar with those Sensor Feed trimmer heads please
give me some advice. Manual ?

See pictures in the link below.

- Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Weedeater GTI 17 XP line timmer head

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weedeater GTI 17 xp line timmer - auto feed ?

I know this is a late reply, but I think you've got it right.

If I understand the function of the sensor feed head correctly, it feeds once the tension on the line reduces, which is a result of the line growing short. If you use too heavy a line, it will never feed, or will only feed a bit. If you use too light a line, it will continuously feed and empty the spool quickly.

I tried using the new spiral line, and because it is actually lighter, it used up a nearly full spool in minutes. I replaced the line with the standard .080 round stuff, and it is now behaving.

I'm considering replacing the head with something more modern, like the bump feed type.

o
RE: Weedeater GTI 17 xp line timmer - auto feed ?

Actually. it was very timely reply as I was about put this machine out for a "curb alert donation " . I will see if I can scrounge some samples of different sized line and try them first .

I see the consumer gas trimmers that need minor fuel system repairs for free (or close ) and I will just get another with better feed mechanism .

I landscaper friend lent me a more powerful Stihl trimmer with an aluminum Oregon head with manually installed 0.155" line like the the "trimmer mowers use" . That is Overkill for most people . That worked well for edging and cutting some small brush , If my trimmer had more power and was used a lot , I might consider buying one of those heads .

- Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here