Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kschrei

Echo PAS 265 won't start

kschrei
12 years ago

Hi,

I have a PAS265 that just quit in the middle of using it and won't start again. It is fairly new in that I bought it a couple years ago, but didn't use it hardly at all until this year. It probably has less than 20 hours on it.

I was using it to weed-wack, and the power starting diminishing. When I let off the gas, it died and would not fire again.

I've try opening the gas cap to make sure the vent was good. Sprayed starter fluid in the carb. Sprayed starter fluid in the spark plug hole. None of these get the motor to even slighly kick over. I tried leaving the spark plug loose after spraying fluid in the spark plug hole. I pulled the start rope and saw a flame so the spark is there.

I don't think the switch is bad because of the way it quit, and because I saw the spark. If the fuel filter were plugged, starter fluid in the carb would have caused a turn over.

Any ideas what may be wrong? Sure appreciate any ideas..

Comments (3)

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

I hate to be the 1st Troubleshooter! Really I am not looking at all you have done.

1. Good compression is the 3rd element needed you d/n report on with fire and fuel. How is it?

2. The conditions of fire, were they good blue sparks? Did you try another known working plug?

3. Any other history that might give a clue as to why it stopped? Has it ever run hot and stopped?

4. Have you peeped at the condition of the cyl by removing the muffler? Checked spark aerator?

Hopefully someone knows the nature of this engine will jump in with some known problems.

Good Luck! loger

• kschrei
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the inputs. I'll add some info that addresses your comments.

The fuel is out of a can I used in an echo chain saw and echo blower - it is fairly new within the last month or so. Don't think that is an issue.

Compression I wondered about, but really don't know how to check it. I did notice that when I pulled the cord with the spark plug in, it was noticeably more 'resistant' than when I had the spark plug out. So, it seems there is some compression - but don't know how much.

The fire I saw was the starter fuel I sprayed in the cylinder, not the spark. I didn't see that. It just seemed that the spark must have been doing it's job to ignite the fuel.

I used the thing on probably 10 occassions for an 1 average each. Never had any problem until it started not reving to full speed without a few pumps of the throttle handle. Then when I let it go to idle, which it always did fine, it stopped. Never showed one sign of kicking over since then. Immediately after this, or when it was cold days later. I had been using it for 1/2 hour or so.

I have not looked at the muffler, or spark aerator. You are reaching my limits of small engine repair with those comments. :) I'll see if I can figure out that bit. I think it is true that "back pressure" can be too much, or maybe even blocked. At least it is something to look at.

Hate taking these things in to get them fixed. I just like it when I can do it myself.

thanks again.

• loger_gw
    12 years ago

kschrei,

"The fuel is out of a can I used in an echo chain saw and echo blower - it is fairly new within the last month or so. Don't think that is an issue."

Reply: Is it fuel w/o gasohol or with gasohol with Sta-Bil additive to fight gasohol�s deteriorating effects?

"Compression I wondered about, but really don't Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. to check it."

Reply: With a gauge, they say 60-100+ psi, w/o you s/n be able to hold the compression in w finger/thumb.

"The fire I saw was the starter fuel I sprayed in the cylinder, not the spark. I didn't see that. It just seemed that the spark must have been doing it's job to ignite the fuel."

Reply: Be careful checking for spark with fuel close. I lost a mower in the 1960s due to priming and checking for fire and got a real fire. Check for a blue spark at the grounded plug. I mention trying another known good plug due to a fairly good plug might not fire with good compression.

"I used the thing on probably 10 occasions for an 1 average each. Never had any problem until it started not reving to full speed without a few pumps of the throttle handle. Then when I let it go to idle, which it always did fine, it stopped. Never showed one sign of kicking over since then."

Reply: Check "ALL" your fuel lines good for tight connections and no cracks. Are you seeing fuel move in the lines when you are priming/purging with a good bulb? From your spark test, it sounds if you might not be pushing or pulling fuel into the carb.

"I have not looked at the muffler, or spark aerator. You are reaching my limits of small engine repair with those comments. :) I'll see if I can figure out that bit. I think it is true that "back pressure" can be too much, or maybe even blocked. At least it is something to look at."

Reply: You are doing good and will probably find the problem soon. From what you have done and your goal of doing yourself, checking the cyl by removing the muffler and checking the spark arrestor is minor. "A Deal"! Check the arrestor, fuel lines and know you are getting fuel from your primer/purge "W/O pulling the muffler to check the cyl. We�ll possibly go from there on a fuel issue. Hang In Their And too Much to Spell Ck Etc. LOL! loger