Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cejuan_gw

Craftsman Garage Door Opener, neither remote works

cejuan
18 years ago

This just suddenly started occurring. Neither remote will operate the garage door opener unless I hold them right up to the opener. The antenna is hanging down and doesn't appear to be damaged. Model no 139.53674SRT2.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don't think the following stuff is related, but just in case here it is.

About a month ago, thanks to a lot of help from this forum I was able to diagnose and fix the problem with a remote going bad and causing the opener to only recognize one remote at a time. I bought a new remote and got rid of the bad one. I never would have figured that one out without your help.

Also, about 6 months ago, I replaced the worm gear.

Comments (83)

• mssj
    17 years ago

I bought a new remote, when I programed it my opener on the wall inside the garage would not work. Do I need to reprogram it How do I do it.

• Don_
    17 years ago

When you say "opener on the wall" do you mean the push button with 2 wires going to the motor unit or do you mean a wireless keypad?

• helio
    17 years ago

One of my remote it does not want to be reprogramted(craftsman 139.53681B)

• Don_
    17 years ago

Have you tried replacing the batteries?

• jjpikul
    17 years ago

I just bought a house with a 2-car garage with 2 Sears GDOs. One works perfectly with 2 remote units in our cars, one wireless keypad outside the garage and one keypad inside the garage. However, the other GDO, which has the 2 remote units and one keypad inside but no wireless keypad outside, only opens and closes using the keypad inside and not with the 2 remote units.

I tried to read other posts and follow along to find my answer but I became very confused very quickly. The remotes have the number 139.53879 on them. My wife parks in the side that opens and I'm stuck outside because my GDO, or so it has become mine, doesn't work with the remotes.

How do I get the remote units to work this GDO?

• scott_12345
    17 years ago

I have a similar problem to the original poster. My 1/2HP Sears 139.53976SRT stopped recognizing remotes last November. I tried reprogramming it, but it wouldn't see the signal from any of the remotes, even when they were held directly to the control board. I bought a 535LM receiver to get it working again quickly and cheaply since it was cold outside, figuring that I would revisit it when the weather warmed up. Today was the day, and after taking it apart and running a meter across most of the board, I couldn't find anything wrong. I put it all back together, and it's working fine again. It would appear that something is unhappy about cold weather, but I wouldn't have a guess to venture. Any suggestions for this upcoming winter?

• tomhornseth_sbcglobal_net
    17 years ago

Today I installed the Sears worm/drive gear kit. I installed all of the bearings washers etc. When I completed, I tested. All is did would go down six inches and then up six inches. I checked and re-checked everything. Do help. I was beginning to consider a new unit.
    One more check of the connections. Then I spotted it! The white modular connector that connects to the travel adjustment unit was not connected. How could I have missed that? That little connector and its wiring were shaped and set so that it sprung into position as though it was connected. The dastardly thing was perfectly postioned but not push down over the wires. From my vantage point, I could not tell it was so cleverly mis-postioned.
    Pushed it in place ... and all's well.

• mssurfview
    17 years ago

The green LED light on the back of my Sears GDO is flashing fast - and unless I hold the remotes about 3 inches from the antena, the GDO does nto open. Plus, it has a gremlin and open and closes whenever it sees fit.

• Don_
    17 years ago

Instead of tacking on to this why don't you start your own posts and you will get some help.

• mssurfview
    17 years ago

Problem solved - so there is/was no reason

• xjjeepman
    17 years ago

I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman GDO that has work fine for several years until recently. The other day I went to open it and nothing happenned. The opener has power, but it doesnt make any noise or even try to move. I checked one of the sensors and saw that the light was out on it. So i swapped it with a good one and still nothing. I also tried disconnecting both sensors and no progress. We are allowed to use the GDO w/o the sensors right? The unit has power, and the only thing that happens when you hit either a wall remote or wireless remote (doesnt matter), the lights come on. Dont blink just come on as in normal operation mode. Any suggestions??

• xjjeepman
    17 years ago

Anyone???

• chaney26
    17 years ago

I am having issues with my Craftsman ½ hp garage door opener. The unit is about 5 years old. One of my garage door openers stopped working a few weeks ago. I replaced the batteries and attempted to open the door but it still did not work. In the process of trying to program the opener I accidentally erased all the codes. Now none of the garage door worked. I have attempted to reprogram the two garage door opener and the keyless entry pad but am only able to make one of the openers work. I have unplugged the unit but it did not work. The console control (wired) works and only one opener works.

Any help will be appreciated.

• maldb
    17 years ago

I purchased my opener (3/4 HP - chain version) about 3-4 months ago and am now having a problem (right after the full warranty expires!) . The opener will not work with either the visor remotes or the remote keypad on the outside of the garage. It works just fine with the inner control pad though. When I press the remotes, I see the signal is being received as the learning light flickers. The sensors are a constant green and amber and were not mounted on the rails - I mounted them to the garage wall with plywood and are rock solid - when I cross the beam, the unit's lights turn on. Does this mean the receiver board is fried? I'm experienced with electronics - can I have Sears order the part for me rather than be charged labor by them?

• ricu
    17 years ago

FEB 19 2007

IT SUDDENLY HAPPENED TODAY THE CRAFSTMAN GDO UNIT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE TWO CLICKER REMOTES AND THE KEYPAD UNLESS I STEP UP TO A LADDER AND BE VERY CLOSE TO THE UNIT WHILE CLICKING THE REMOTES. I HAVE UNPLUGGED AND REPROGRAMMED THE THREE DEVICES SEVERAL TIMES BUT TO NO AVAIL, THEY ONLY OPERATE AT VERY CLOSE RANGE.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED? iS IT THE COLD WEATHER IN THE NORTHEAST? DO I NEED TO REPLACE BATTERIES OF THE CLICKERS AND THE KEYPAD? THE GDO IS JUST LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE OR OPINION.

• aj3080
    16 years ago

Both of my regular sized remotes stopped working at the same time. I have installed new batteries and they still do not work. I have 2 of the minature remotes that work just fine. The wall mounted push button works. Only the regular size remotes have stopped working.
    Any Suggestions?

• fredbliss
    16 years ago

Neither remote would work after working just fine. Remote worked at other house. Both remotes are built into cars. Turned out the problem was I had activated a Radio Shack power antenna for receiving AM/FM signals. Turned off antenna and garage doors worked again. Was able to reactivate radio antenna by shielding with aluminum foil on garage side. Then both doors and radio worked

• dricke
    16 years ago

I've seen instructions in replacing the big white drive gear to lubricate with oil. Some say a special grease, some just say lithium, and others suggest motor oil. Any difference and does it and the worm gear get covered?

Thanks.

Dennis Ricke
    dricke@yahoo.com

• scottiggy
    15 years ago

My craftsman garage door opener just started acting funny with an LED behind the one of the light bulbs flashing 5 times and then taking a break. Is it morse code for something important because Sears told me they can't help me without sending out a rep to take a look. Anyone have any ideas? It is model 139.53674SRT2

Scott

• marquisx
    15 years ago

Craftman model 139 18760 deoes not work. It stopped all of a sudden. Door open from inside the garage but not with the remote. Both remote does not work. Please Help

• bushgator
    15 years ago

cant get my 2 car remotes to work how do you re program them I unplugged the gdo and plugged it back in to get the outside remote KeyPad to work now I just need to get my 2 car remotes to work. Thanks

• lucius_2008
    15 years ago

I have a craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener. The remotes do not work. The wall unit works to open and close, but the light continues to blink on and off. I checked and there is no reset button on back of motor housing where wires connect.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• keith_keithplummer_com
    15 years ago

One day my remotes to my craftsman garage door stopped working and the light on the wall mounted button for the opener started blinking. I called the technical support line 1-800-528-5236 as suggested above and they had me reprogram my door opener - not the remote. As soon as I was done programming the door opener everything started working and my wall button stopped blinking. I used the automated steps on the tech support line to program the door opener.

• johngrover
    14 years ago

Make sure to check the new batteries to be sure they are good too. See my profile. I work on garage doors every day. You would not believe the number of times this was a low battery problem. When I hear someone say, I got up next morning and it worked, tells me the battery is low, but overnight it will give itself just enough of a charge to work one or two times.

• andi28
    14 years ago

I just bought a house and the previous owner apparently took the remotes with him. It's a Craftsman 3/4 HP Model #139.53990D , appears newer, and does work with the button on the wall.
    If I get a universal remote (or 2), how do I change the code so that the old owner can't use it ? Is there a good remote that you can recommend ?
    Thanks in advance for your help !

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

To eliminate the old owners from opening the door you need to find the smart/learn button on the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go. Press and hold this for 6 seconds and it will erase the memory. If you have a wireless keypad it will also not work and must be programmed. Your wall control will work. Make sure the universal remote you plan to buy is 315 mhz or it will not work.

• bangor3338
    13 years ago

My friend has a Chamberlain model 2100 garage door opener. (Sears?) When I push the close button, the door goes down about one foot and reverses. (Eye alignment seems fine)Owner told me the carriage 'seems' to stop further back.(?)I have been over to try different things, at least six times. I feel I may soon need to attend an anger-management
    class. I even considered 'fine-tuning' it with my shotgun! Plese help me before violence erupts.

• dkebea
    13 years ago

i have a chamberlin liftmaster installed in 04 that reopens when it is 4 inches from the floor. the green and amber light are on and the green one goes off when there is a break in the beam. i have cleaned the sensors and bottom of the door. do you have any suggestions as to what else i can do before having to call a serviceman and he only has to adjust a screw on the main unit. thanks

• fyemaple
    13 years ago

Experts,

My remote to the Craftsman garage opener stopped functioning. Changing battery did not help. The LED on wall panel is not blinking so this is not due to "vacation" lock. Any ideas what went wrong? Thanks!

• toomanytoys
    13 years ago

It was about two years ago I went through the same issue some here have noted, having multiple remotes that no longer are able to be used as you cannot program them commonly to the same door opener. Drove me nuts, include going over this and other sites that talked about it.

So after two years I've revisited the issue. It turned out that it appears oxidation of the DIP switches were altering the codes. I was able to move the DIP toggles of each remote about a half dozen times through their full movement cleaning the contacts in the process, then reset each of the remotes switches to common positions. Now all of the remotes were able to be programmed to the same garage door opener.

Hopefully it works for others who search for a solution in the future.

• happyhooligan
    13 years ago

My craftsman garage door opens stopped working correctly after I installed 2 solar powered attic fans in the garage.

When the fans are working, I have to be right next to the opener to open it. When they're not working I can be down the street...

How do I fix this?

• chiphidinger_netzero_net
    13 years ago

Guys. I had the same problem. One day neither remote would work. I followed the advice above to call Sears customer service. It took longer to hear all their messages and take my information than for the tech to tell me what to do to fix it.
    Basically, the pairing directions on the label are wrong. Instead push the purple button on the opener and release. Then immediately push your remote button. If they pair the light flashes. Takes about 10 seconds to do the whole process tops.
    Thank you Sears for having a knowledgeable tech (CS was a gentleman in Tucson, AZ) not overseas.

• darrylbrown
    13 years ago

I am looking for a remote for a 1990 (or so) Craftsman garage door opener code 139.18750. I am having a lot of trouble finding this, lots with other numbers, but none with the 139.18750, which seems to be the only one that works. If anyone knows of such an item, I would greatly appreciated knowing about it.

Thanks

• larrylwill
    13 years ago

I have one and it had the same problem. Both remotes had the problem, neither had been used in about a year. I had to replace the board in the opener just after I bought this house as it got hit by lightening but the opener did work with the remotes. I used the manual button for about a year until we got the garage cleaned out then they wouldnt work.
    I opened the remote and got close to the opener with it and adjusted the capacitor inside the remote until it started working, then I backed away until I got about 20ft away, slightly retuning if necessary.

• gumby1000
    13 years ago

Before you buy a new logic board, make sure of the following:

Like the first poster, my unit would not work unless both remotes were held within 2' of the motor and logic board.
    The neighbours door was intermittent as well!

Unlike the first poster, none of my car key fobs would unlock the car doors while the cars would parked near my house!

This indicated to me that some other wireless signal was blocking the garage door receiver and both cars.

That indeed was the case. A button on a remote control for one of our ceiling fans was stuck and contantly beaming a signal which was interfering with or blocking the garage door and the car key fob signals! Weird or what!?!

• shse101_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

The Sears Automatic Opener 139.655000 worked for me 20+ years. I have 2 remotes,model 139.53681B for it and they worked well. I am adding a new one now but couldn't find the "learn" button on the motor unit as instructed. So what should I do to make it work ? Please advise.

Sasasun

• 4beckers
    13 years ago

Help! I have a craftsman garage door opener (bought in 2006) that will only open my door if my car is right on top of the garage door. I thought it was a problem with the remote so I changed the batteries, but no. So then we programmed the homelink in my car thinking the remote was no good, but I'm still having the same problem. Any ideas? It is hard in the winter when I pull out forward and the door doesn't close so I have to drive back down into my snowy driveway! Oh did a mention it seems to work fine when the weather is warm.

• ryan_ryanheath_com
    13 years ago

My remotes were working very intermittently.
    I realized that the problem started around the same time I replaced some of the halogen lamps (bulbs) in my low voltage landscape lighting system with new LED lamps. When the lights are off the remotes work fine, but when the lights are on, the remotes will only work when they are right next to the GDO.
    I'mm going to first try to use tin foil to 'sheild' the interference as there are 3 lights that are mounted to the outside wall of the garage. If the shielding doesn't work, I may just have to use halogen lamps again on the outside of the garage. Hopefully all the LEDs I just installed in my backyard won't need to be removed. They aren't cheap and I was looking forward to the energy savings.

This makes me wonder about buying some of the new Phillips LED lights for use inside the home. I was thinking of buying the GU-10 replacement LEDs since we use lots of those lamps (bulbs) but I may hold off now.

• lucky_ray_11_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi,
    This is what happened to my garage door and this is how I solved the problem.

One winter night in Calgary - Canada my garage door stopped working.... (my Craftsman garage door as well as homelink in Hyundai SantaFe) So I finally read this post...

Thanks to many of you.... (including Ryan before me) I had Philips energysaver spiral bulbs on... (on the Garage Opener Motor)
    1. so I replaced them back to filament bulbs...
    2. Replaced battery in my garage door remote
    3. Erased all the old remote (by holding train / learn button for 6 sec)
    4. It was piece of cake to configure remotes again...
    http://www.homelink.com/program_video.php for HomeLink remote configuration.

Thanks,
    Lucky

• phoenix4929_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp chain drive GDO. A few weeks ago both remotes started to fail intermittently. Tried reprogramming, power reset, battery replacement, antenna extension etc. but nothing seems to work. The final status is this: both remotes opens the garage door fine, but fails to close it once they are open.
    One peculiar thing I noticed is if I wait about five minutes after opening, then the remote is able to close it ok.
    Opening works fine without waiting.
    Whenever the remote decides to work, the range seems to be ok.
    The wall switch works fine all the time.
    Any thoughts why it closes only after few minutes wait?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

• sbgoldsmith
    12 years ago

I have a craftman garage door opener that works fine. The remote worked fine until the cable guy came and installed the cable. All wires are fine, tried to reset the the unit and remote, lights flashed as the unit says but still nothing. It will open and close by the button on the wall but the remote won't work at all. Can someone please help me?
    Thanks,
    Susan

• wenderlin
    12 years ago

I got a problem with my garage opener in past few days. I can close the door when I leave for work but cannot open the door when I come home.

At first I thought the trouble is caused by cold weather. Then I thought is the board gone bad. However, when I get the remote close to the antena, everything works fine.

Finally I observe that my garage door open/close indicater(Made by Craftsman) both lights are flashing(red and green). Therefore I disconnet the AC power on the receiver then test out the garage door remote. Surprisely, everything works like a charm.

The trouble is caused by the unit that attached to the garage door runs out the battery. I bet the receiver unit was sending signal to find the door unit consistenly which interferences the signal of garage door remote control, including my keypad door opener. After I replace the battery on the door unit, everything is back to normal.

Just want to share with anyone who has the same situation. Signal interference will cause the trouble to remote control.

• GEORGE1952
    12 years ago

I have a sears craftsman garage door opener. Model 139.53629 srt.The door open now will not shut. When the garage door remote is pushed all I get is a clicking noise . I tried reprogram the remote try a different remote and the adjusting the senors. Both senors have a green light on

• garagepro
    12 years ago

It�s sound that you need to replace the garage door gear , but if the opener in more than 10 years I recommend you to install a new one and from my experience the lift master are the best

Here is a link that might be useful: garage door in south jersey

• rayt30
    10 years ago

I bought an additional Craftsman remote, and I can program it to work--but then the other remote device does not work. I follow the instructions to program the other one, and the initial one I bought doesn't work. It seems like activating one cancels out the other--can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this is happening?

I press the red button on the GDO, hold down the remote button until the click is heard. Then, that remote works. I try it with the second remote, and it works--but then the first one does not.

• william_gates_1985
    10 years ago

This problem is actually related to Chamerlain's garage door remote encoding system changes in past 30 years.

Chamerlain made a complicated receiver to support all encoding system, include dip-switches, billion code and security+ rolling code, but with one limitation, only one format is supported at a time. ( see 8002U manual )

I guess that's why only one remote is supported happen.

The solution is to use all same encoding format remotes / wall switches.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage door remotes - issues caused by encoder change

• PJP930
    9 years ago

Here is my problem:
    Saturday 9/27 - wirlesss remoted keypad woud not open the door. Hand held remote worked. Homelink in both cars worked. Just puchased a new car and successfully linked the Homelink. Today Sunday, purchased a new wireless kepypad, got it to sync. Now noe of the Auto HomeLink remotes work and the hand held remote no longer works.

• pmooney13080
    8 years ago

My problems started right after having solar panels mounted on my house. Come to find out that the solar panel micro-inverters work on a frequency of 315MHz which is the same frequency as the garage door openers. I need to buy garage door remote openers that operate on a different frequency. Still researching what parts I need to resolve the problem.

• rttrudy
    7 years ago

Had the same problem ,Neither remote will operate the garage door opener unless I hold them right up to the opener. I was thinking what changed in the last few weeks. The only thing I could come up with, was I changed the light bulb in the unit to LED lights. When I removed them, the remotes worked fine.