Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gondorff

Repair or replace chain saw

Gondorff
11 years ago

Husqvarna 40 (1985-09) Chainsaw

Is it worth getting this chainsaw fixed? I got this chainsaw from my son in law. I have no idea of it's history or does my son in law. So I do not know if it was heavy used or lightly used.

I was able to use the chainsaw once to cut down a tree but then a problem developed.

When I got the chainsaw I cleaned it up and put in new gas/oil filled up the chain lube tank and started up. It started fairly easily. However after cutting a tree down and the chainsaw was idling, I hear a change in the pitch of the rpm's. When I went rev it up it would not rev it up it would spit and stutter, idle was the only thing it would do smoothly.

I am not good at fixing gas powered equipment my past attempts have been less the stellar. So I would be inclined to take it into a shop for repair.

The question is it worth it? I know at one time Husqvarna was consider a very good chainsaw. I looked up the Carburetor and it was $50. I doubt very much if I could it repaired for under a $100. For a mere $80 more I can get a new one from Home Depot.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Comments (3)

• chas045
    11 years ago

I am not the best person to answer this since I was recently getting advise here and accidently disconnected something during my repair just like I suspect you are afraid that you might do too.

However, while I am not familiar with your saw, I may as well start this thread off by pointing out that older saws were usually designed to be respectable tools rather than disposable items. Often, long stored small engines fail to run so you are already ahead in the game. While the more experienced here may suggest something else, I would expect that a piece of crud just jammed up one of your carburetor's main orifices, and there aren't many in a small carb.

My point is that this is probably a simple repair. If you are in upstate NY you might want to look for a country shop that fixes big boy's toys like I did. If you were in North Carolina, I would have high hopes for you. The other approach would be to see if your son in law or some other family member would take a look at it for you.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

1. IMO you need that small honest Mom and Pop or Handyman Shop vs Dealer's overhead cost that will handle basics at a reasonable cost.

2. If "normal" basics are the needs (which quick inspections should reveal) you might need a new saw but not often vs a tune-up or minor repair.

3. Your Son-In-Laws Work Habits, a compression test, inspect the rings/cyl with muffler off will give good indications of the saw�s condition.

4. I hate to think any Mid Grade Product is replaced before a major need dictates a change. They are with and w/o Maintenance!

5. A reasonable yearly service contract on equipment would be ideal for those not servicing yearly at least if needed.

6. Good Luck! I hope your choice on the present need is good, giving you a new start with old or new. Please keep us posted and ask any questions that will help.

7. Please post a good picture with the breather off and or other pics of questioned areas.

• ewalk
    11 years ago

Gon: for a casual use saw it is more than capable . Usually a carb cleaning either via an ounce or two of carb cleaner within fresh fuel or internal fuel filter cleaning is all that is required. Older saws require a good inspection for loose fuel line connections and carb flange bolts and normally a new spark plug and air filter , at the very least a good cleaning . If these do not help then a internal filter screen cleaning within the carb is warranted . Small amounts of gum or residual varnish becomes dislodged after long term inactivity and when new fuel is added it restricts the fuel circuits causing your symtoms. Unless mechanically inclined a repair shop visit may be more prudent as previously advised .