Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

Does a chain hoist ever fail?

tom_nwnj
9 years ago

I bought this chain hoist from Grizzly mostly just to get under my ZTR mower (change blades, etc). After I get the front of the mower up, I usually stand a 2X4 under the front of the deck. I wonder if that is even necessary. Do chain hoists ever "fail"??

Also shown is my hook-up the ceiling joists (2X12s) and above the steel girder. The frame for the chain hoist is white oak, glued and screwed to the joists. The hoist hangs from an eye-bolt, drilled through a 4X4 white oak board, spanning the 16" joist centers.

Any horror stories out there of ZTRs falling on people??

TIA

Comments (7)

• hippy
    9 years ago

I have never had one fail. But anything is possible and it is a little better to be safe than sorry.

When I use my over head chain hoist with heavy loads. I will stick a U Bolt (minus the nuts) through one of the chains link on the unloaded side of the chain. Then if the hoist does fail the U bolt will jam into the gears and lock the hoist up. Again, I have never saw one fail with normal use and the U bolt is used just for the peace of mind.

{{gwi:316633}}

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

There was a guy killed here some years ago when a brush hog fell on him.

I like the "U" bolt idea, another thing I do if I am going to be under something heavy, is have a second chain hooked to the load and hooked to a different support. You have a great place to hang a safety chain on that "I" beam. I know it sounds like an over kill but it gives me comfort knowing I have 2 systems of support just in case something goes wrong, but I have never had a chain hoist fail.

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to Hippy and Slowpoke, a couple of very good ideas.

Didn't mention, but my ZTR is large, over 2200 pounds, with no fuel,

If just the front fell on me, I'd either need an ambulance or a hearse. Most likely the latter.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Are Steel Ramps A Safe Option when you do not have the heavy duty lift equipment? A Yardman was showing me his Harbor Freight lift for a much smaller Riding Mower. I could not believe how he could trust it. We built 8â high ramps for automotive repairs for years vs seeing a few in use now. I used them for years (70s-80s) to pull VW engines. I only use one lower for oil changes now with 2â angle stops on top, welded in front and rear of tire vs in this attachment.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Loger
    I have tried car ramps for my Ferris and Gravely 260Z Z turn mowers. The problem when using them is they do not allow the deck to raise high enough to get an impact wrench under the deck to remove the blades or work to be done from the sides of the mower.

Got a friend who bought a lift from HF for Z turn mowers. It failed on him twice and the second time when it pinned his arm between the deck and the lift to where he could not get away from it (luckily his wife was home and he suffered no serious injuries) it went back to HF for a refund.

Nothing more satisfying than making people like HF buy their own junk back.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Ramps do have their limits but I like them vs jacks and stands when they will work (on low jobs as oil changes and not over 8â high ramps).

Starting with tools in the mid 60s before the Harbor Freight type stores taught me a lot about quality tools. Many I c/n afford new but could find quality used ones due to the true quality Brands. Over the years I have learned what âÂÂSupplies and Non Mechanical Toolsâ I can used from H/F and benefit from them. Such as: speed squares, magnetic welding jigs. 14â chop-saw cutting wheels, specific drill bits/odd wrenches/sockets, basically hardware items.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I would never work under something that is only suspended by a chain hoist. You say: "I usually stand a 2X4 under the front of the deck." That is inadequate, since a 2X4 on end could easily twist to the side if it was bearing the weight. I would only feel safe if I had stands under there and the vehicle was lowered enough to make contact with them.

In addition, although you have created a pretty beefy frame to connect the hoist to, I have no idea what the pullout force is on your various fasteners.

All of this argues for taking some additional precautions: hope for the best, plan for the worst...