Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compare Wheel Trimmers

Posted by redmud (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 13:10

I am looking at line trimmers on wheels, such as DR, Echo/Bearcat, Swisher, Poulan, and Craftsman.
Please let me know what you think about these brands and others you may have used.

Also, is a Beaver Blade safe to use?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compare Wheel Trimmers

I have an older model DR trimmer that i picked up at a yard sale a couple of years ago. It had been abused so i had to spend a few bucks to fix it up. Has the 5hp B&S engine. After i was sure it would be what i wanted, i ordered the new style trimmer head for it. Have been very pleased with it. Primarly used for heavy weeds and vines. I do see a lot of the Poulans returned to Walmart, not sure about the others you mentioned. By the way the new DR trimmers are high dollar.

o

I've got a Craftsman one that works great. It was I think $25 at a yardsale since they said it didn't work. I got it home and it started up with a little priming. I like using it much much more than my handheld trimmer. The line is so much thicker and lasts alot longer even compared to the .105 line in my handheld. I also don't get my legs/pants plastered with finely chopped debris.
I do see similiar items on craigslist so if you don't mind used, keep an eye out there on or ebay.

o

Yep, DR are a well made machine. They have some end of year sales here at the store in Southern NH? Don't know about your area. DR also sells factory refirbed units now.

o

Have a 20 year old DR trimmer and now use the 'knobby' line, which seems to cut the tough weeds so quickly. Per DR reps' suggestion, keep the line refrigerated! My only complaint is the inefficiency in oil changing. Not sure if new models have improved engineering. Would enjoy a narrow model to go betweern the raised beds as the hand held Stihl gets tiring. Have never seen one on CL.

Have used the Beaver blade without problems some years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here