Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbentsen

Getting chain back on Husqvarna E235 Chainsaw

cbentsen
12 years ago

I'm a very occassional chainsaw user - mostly use my Husqvarna for cutting up downed trees and such. The chain has come off of the blade, and for the life of me, I can't get it back on. I've loosened the chainsaw blade tightening adjustment dial to the loosest setting, and have tried to get the chain back on similar to how you get a chain back on to a bicycle gear - but no luck - it is still too tight to get the chain back into the groove on the blade. Is there a trick to doing this manouever on this particular model of chainsaw? I'd hate to have to bring it to a dealer just to do this.

Comments (3)

• fisher40037
    12 years ago

You will either have to get a new chain, or grind the burrs
    off of the bottom of your chain.
    No decent shop will offer to "doctor" the chain to be used.

Fish

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Most of the time that's not enough to get it back on the clutch teeth (not familar with that saw but most are the same??). You will probably have to take the nuts off that hole the bar cover and bar on. swing the bar out and thread the chain on the clutch teeth first then straighten the bar while guiding the teeth into the bar groove.

Ok, I guessing you clean the saw, check tension, and sharpen the teeth on the chain after every use??? IMO the saw will be ready when you need it. Most of us for every tank full of gas the chain is hit three or four strokes with the file and the tension is reset on the chain. After use the saw bar is removed the clutch and oiling area cleaned up, the bar grooves cleaned out, the chain washed, put back togather, again hit the teeth couple times with the file and set tension. Now the saw is ready for the next episode providing you drained the oil and fuel out of it so it don't set around leaking and plugging up???

• cbentsen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice (rcmoser). I got the chain back on and running. The trick was making sure the area around the clutch gear was clean and free of guck. After cleaning this area out, I found that I could get another eighth of an inch of slack or so by adjusting the tension knob and making sure the chain bar had moved as far as it was going to go. Then getting the chain on was a piece of cake. Now on to learning how to keep my chain(s) nice and sharp. Thanks again.

Carl