Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody have a governor linkage diagram for this Briggs?

Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 14:34

This Briggs model 170432 1671 01 80033112 7HP generator engine is out of whack.

It starts up easily and immediately goes to overly high RPM. In the first picture, you see a coil that magnetically holds the throttle plate to an operating speed. This works OK' it does magnitize.

In the second picture is the back side of the governor mechanism. I'm not sure where to attach the spring to the linkage. The third picture is a closer view of the governor linkage. There is another hole to the left of the top of the spring mounting. There are no other options.

In the fourth picture is the front of the carb. You can see the adjusting screw on the left, for speed.

The governor arm is properly adjusted where it attaches to the engine, and it does run OK if I manually hold the throttle plate to the coil, but as soon as the plate breaks free from the coil, it overspeeds.

Does anybody know the proper linkage setup? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody have a governor linkage diagram for this Briggs?

Hopefully you can find the service manual online in a PDF. Lots of pics inside. Briggs 270962 is the #

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 20:59

This might take awhile to find.

o

• Posted by Jarm none (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 18:20

try this link it said model not found but maybe i coped it wrong http://www.briggsandstratton.com/generators-pressure-washers/support/operators-manuals/?NTT=+170432+1671+01+80033112

o

Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 5:51

I'm not having any luck at all. I'll reassemble it and try to adjust the speed.

o

Are you not finding the manual baymee? Or isn't it helpful in this case? It's a big file, but I could email you a copy.

o

Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 5:26

In all the manuals I looked at, it doesn't show the spring arrangement in any of them.

If yours shows the spring and governor lever, please email it.

o

Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 18:28

I put everything back together and now it seems the carb is acting up and I know everything inside is clean.

I'd like to put a more modern carb on it.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 8:14

Found the info you want in an old briggs manual. Send me an email and I'll send it along.

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here