Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooding carb

Posted by taurusmn1 NH (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 14:57

I have an older ariens ST824. I have separated it to replace the auger bearing. bought it last winter from a guy on criegslist and he was a hack. I worked fine for the first storm. then the carb started to act up. bought a carb rebild kit and cleaned the carbs still acting up gonna have the shop look at that. My problem is now the guy i bought it from must have craked the halves cause i found that the drive wheel pully was loose and that the set screws that hold the auger shaft and the auger pully where not even tight. nothing seems to be broken so think its fine. when i replace the auger bearing does that need to be pressed onto the auger shaft. the shaft slid out of the old one with no problem.

thanks
leo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooding carb

IMO when you buy used the buyer has to be aware and not depend on the seller's wishfull thinking. The machine could be on it's last leg or the seller use to getting it started and it operation. (crap viberating loose which may require periodic tighting???)

Snow blowers vibrate alot especially older worn ones, so close inspection before use looking for loose hardware is must. As for the carb. cold (like when snow on the ground)starts are easy to flood and engine. maybe revist you starting technique??. Problem with engines setting for long peorids of them are carb. problems due to stale fuel plugging fine ports and causing floats to stick.

some times we get good deal on used and sometimes we got work to do.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 6:43

I don't think the auger bearing needs to be pressed. The bearing should be held in place by a retainer on the auger housing and the shaft should slide right through.

o

I agree with Bay , the bearing should be retained within a pillow block retainer secured to the blower / auger housing . Some xtra hands sometimes helps with the aligning and securing .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here