Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Model 917.293490 Rear Tiller Transmission Seized

Posted by craig-ref MD (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 16:04

Greetings Tool Shed Bloggers -
I took my 293490 transmission apart and found the small chain had busted. Unfortunately, the pictures of dis-assembly were erased Does anyone have better schematics than the Sears parts diagram, or pictures of their dis-assembly?
Thanks, Craig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Model 917.293490 Rear Tiller Transmission Seized

If that model is the one with the stamped tin transmission case---ya might as well "bite the bullet" and realise you made a mistake, and go out and buy a better make of tiller. They weren't made to be fixed, only to give ya more scrap to take to the scrap yard! JMHO-Rusty Jones

o

Did you disassemble everything or did the parts just fall out when u opened it?

Can u post pics of your parts and we can help from there.

o

Do you have a PDF of the Owner's Manual. I had a similar Craftsman Tiller and had to get into the transmission. I found that with a PDF, I could blow up the transmission diagram to 11 x 17 (ledger size) with good results.

Using Sear's Parts Direct has really poor diagrams, and I had the same problems you are talking about.

I have the manual for 917-293490 in PDF. Email me if you want me to bounce back a copy.

o

I reassembled the Craftsman tiller and it works fine, except the tines don't rotate in rear direction when the tiller moves forward. I had all gears out and did not notice any damage upon inspection.

It shifts easily across the "transport only" gear selection range of F, N, R. When placed into "forward direction - tines rotate in reverse" the times rotate but the tiller does not move forward. Moving the gear selector one more over to "forward direction - forward rotating tines", the tiller works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks Craig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here