Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jopopsy

When do you need a dual bevel miter?

jopopsy
14 years ago

Hey Gang,

I plan on building a shed, work bench, maybe a built in, and hang some crown molding (will try the cut-n-crown system for the crown molding). Will also want to hang case molding around my windows.

I'm not a wood worker, just a DIYer. Do I need to spend the money for dual bevel or will single bevel be fine for what I want to do?

Thanks,

Jopopsy

Comments (7)

• baymee
    14 years ago

It's very handy for crown moulding, picture frames. Good saw is the Hitachi Compound Miter, with 8" blade. Otherwise, you may never need two angles.

• den69rs96
    14 years ago

It is not necessary to get a dual bevel saw. I'm a DIYer just like you and I've used my craftsman 12 compound miter a ton and it only bevels one way. You can flip your piece over and get the same results as a dual bevel saw.

Actually my miter saw is my most used saw. When I bought it, I thought I would use it occassionally for moulding etc, but you'll end up using it like a chop block etc. I wish I bought a sliding compound saw. A sliding compound is real handy cutting large boards like floor joist. Since you plan on building a shed, I'd look at one. Sears has a 10 inch sliding saws that won't break the bank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears 10 inch sliding compound

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Having used my 12" compound miter saw extensively for various DIY projects during the past few years, I have to agree with comments made in the last post - and wish I had bought a sliding unit. But - thought it was too much $$ at the time. Prices have really plummeted.

Another regret is not selecting a dual bevel saw. It's a pain having to flip your work and reset cutting angles when mitering both ends of a piece, or even making compound framing cuts. I recently added an addition to my home and being the type who never designs anything mediocre - the design involved some complex roof and wall angles. This necessitated repetitious repositioning of work and resetting the miter table angles with each cut.

However, even if you select a basic unit, you will find this tool to be one of the most used in your basement/garage workshop.

• genesii
    14 years ago

A compound saw is handy with crown molding, picture frames and a number of other cuts which you may never use.

A sliding miter saw will allow you to accurately cut wider pieces of wood than you could normally do with a regular miter saw.

A laser, I believe, is one of the important issues, wish I had one.

• masiman
    14 years ago

This looks pretty accurate compared to the other after market solutions. Irwin (and probably others) makes one that attaches to the arbor against the blade. It puts out a beam not exactly in line with where the cut will be, but it will get you pretty close.

• pacificwest
    14 years ago

The dual miter saw is easier to use, but as a home owner, a single is easier to use. I am the owner of Pacific West Mouldings and I only use a single miter.. so either can be done, and I specialize in crown moulding

good luck,
    Pacific West Mouldings

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific West Mouldings

• ewalk
    13 years ago

My Son is a Builder , has done Cabinets and Trim etc. As Pacific has said with a little experience you can cut and apply Crown with a Simple Mitre Saw. A Dual Mitre would be over kill unless you intend on routine usage . A sliding Compound Mitre is a good investment over the typical Chop / Mitre . I guess it depends on the amount of use to justify the additional cost ? I'am No Carpenter but in short order could accomplish and apply Crown Moulding with my Cheap Mitre Saw , it just was a little slower and took a little practice and guidance from my Son lol .