Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

More McCulloch Mac3200 carb question

chas045
10 years ago

As posted before, I had taken my well running, easy starting, Mac3200 chainsaw completely apart to check the oiler. The oiler appears to be working now but after an initial several restarts with high rev and immediate stalls, I haven't been able to even get a pop or purr out of it. I had replaced one piece of gas line and I believe I should have the plumbing correct considering the shape of the remaining tubing. However I just realized that my priming bulb effects are to fill up the carb main chamber and I guess the extra gas is pouring down the main carb bore into the cylinder but not back into the tank in what I assume is the return line. I had rehooked the lines after some of the starts and perhaps I have exchanged them although that seems almost impossible. Anyway, I see that the inlet must be correct because the 'return' line has a one way flap valve and no gas could get in that way. However, no gas goes out of that line either when I use the primer; it just fills up the venturi area and slowly drains away into the engine.

This saw uses a Zama C1Q carb. An ebay site implies that the sub model is M36 or M27D and I can get carb gasket kits easily. However, it is still hard for me to understand what I could have done to this carb (other than tubing) because it and saw were running perfectly before I went after the oiler. I didn't really mess with the carb until I failed to get stable running.

Since instructions say to prime five times, even without extra priming, that's a lot of gas in the engine. I assume that this is not what is supposed to happen, and the gas is supposed to drain back to the tank via the outlet tube. No gas is coming out of it whether connected or not. FYI I do have good spark.

Have I mis-understood something, or does this tell you guys what is wrong here?

Comments (3)