Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brad nail guns

Posted by dmullen Southern CA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 17:22

My wife wants a brad nailer so she can build bird houses and she also wants another to staple upholstery.

In looking at them, they all look good so I thought I would as for an opinion about which brand might be best.

I see Makita, Senco, Porter Cable, and others in the stores. Is there any particular one with a very good reputation or one with an especially bad reputation?

I will probably buy one of those kits with the small compressor included and sometimes as many as three guns included.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brad nail guns

d, For bird houses and other outdoor items, you should consider a finishing nailer as opposed to brads. Brads are normally only 18 gauge (very thin), and have almost no head at all, yielding very little holding power out in the elements. Finishing nails are heavier (15 or 16 gauge) and have more of a head. Primary use for brads in bird house construction would be to hold the wood together while glue sets up ... and clamps will do that job better.

I have both brad & finish nailers, both Campbell-Hausfield, and they're okay. I don't use 'em a lot, but I have had them for 8 years or so, and total usage adds up to quite a bit. No problems with them.

o
Oh, forget the stapler

You can get a stapler/brad gun that will shoot either type of fastener, but when you're using it to drive brads, the striker that pushes staples down will usually leave an elongated indention where it pushed the brad in. I don't have one of these combination tools, but have borrowed one from a friend, and noticed the indentions it made. In your situation, I'd go for a finish nailer and a separate stapler.

o
RE: Brad nail guns

I've owned an 18 gauge Bostitch nailer for about 10 years and have had excellent service from it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here