Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro 828 Snow blower won't shift when below freezing

Posted by Link27 none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 18:00

I can't figure out why my snow blower's transmission won't shift when it's below freezing.. i have to place a heat lamp directly under the transmission pan for at least half hour, and play with the shift knob, until it loosens up.. the colder it is the worse it is.. anyone know a fix? the manual doesn't cover trouble shooting - thanks, Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro 828 Snow blower won't shift when below freezing

another symptom: even if left in neutral, the wheels will not roll freely.. they're seized up as well as the transmission gear shift.. pushing and pulling i.e. forcibly rolling back and forth as it thaws, also helps to loosen things up as well.. when it warms up, it's great!

o

Have you inspected the drive axle and friction disc axle for proper lubrication . Some penetrating oil followed by WD-40 will loosen it up .

o

Which 828 do you have? Model 38xxx? The powershift had a transmission, others had a friction drive.

o
RE: Toro Powershift 828 model 38570 Snow blower won't shift when

hello! it's the powershift, model 38570.. i can't see any way to check the fluid level or add to it.. fyi: it does have a slight coating of fluid all over the transmission case.. not because it's leaking, rather it's seams to be a typical trans fluid seepage over the years.. i'm getting ready to disassemble the entire chassis, to get a better look.. any thoughts?

o

one possible reason for it not leaking is that it is empty. Speaking generically, I only know about old Ariens and not very much of that. Make sure the shift hardware is moving freely too.

o

Very nice thrower indeed. These are incredible machines. In a past life, I worked at a Toro dealer- but since have forgotten much about these. I'm not in snow country anymore. But I do remember there being either a service bulletin or directive from service school pertaining to cables freezing up on these. The thing is, I don't recall if it affected shifting or the power shift feature. A cooperative Toro dealer would be a great help. These were the days of the paper manuals! Toro also generously provides service manuals for free on their site on these and many other builds through their main website. andyma's point about lube should be considered. The lube info should be contained in the manual. Keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro parts and manuals

o

thanks for the input guys.. tom, i have the pdf manual - it covers everything but the trans. shift hardware moves freely (in spring, summer and fall) i think a call to a toro service center is the next move..

o

I have found that Dextron Auto Trans fluid works well for cable anti freezing protection . Also can you check to ensure proper transmission fluid levels on your unit .

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 12:43

As always, lots of good info/suggestions here. FWIW, I once lived in Oswego, NY right on the east coast of Lake Ontario, we got it all, lake effect snow, and lots of it. What I discovered was that almost all snow blowers share a common failure below freezing. When you blow snow, moisture, be it from the snow/ice on the hot engine or trans or snow melt from salt brought into driveway or on sidewalks gets into places and freezes. This pretty much screws up everything. particuarly the cables when water gets inside and freezes. I found that periodically putting the machine somewhere above freezing overnight melted everything. Liberal applications of WD-40 (water disperal) helps. Another common issue is the feeder and impeller freeze and belts get burned. A simple 60Watt trouble light down the chute overcomes this. Perhaps a hair dryer on low directed underneath-under supervision, not left on would be useful.

Good luck,

Ev

o

Is the trans a Peerless box? I don't remember. Model tag on the trans?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here