Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Husqvarna 353 chainsaw problem

Posted by groda63 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 18:39

I have Husqvarna 353 chainsaw purchased last Fall. I was able to use it for about 30 minutes before it stopped starting. I took it to my dealer and they said it had a warranty problem having to do with the gas and air not mixing properly. They fixed it and sent it back.

It worked for 30 minutes then I could not restart it after taking a break.

The next day it started up fine. I cut for 30 minutes until the saw got stuck inside a log that was in tension. I pulled the trigger to give it some power to try to get the saw out of the log but it would not budge. I rotated the saw up in the air, at one point the bar was pointing straight down, trying to get the bar out of the log, while revving the engine. After a minute or so, grey smoke started coming out of the saw ( I think it was in the area where the bar connects to the saw).

The bar and chain oil may have been low but I don't think it was empty. I tuned the saw off, got it out of the log and put it away. Two days later, I try to restart and nothing. Really frustrated here!

This saw has been nothing but problems since I purchased it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Husqvarna 353 chainsaw problem

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 20:42

That grey smoke was probably the clutch if the chain was jammed as you tried to rev it.
Is it only hard starting when cold? The cold start procedure is to pull the choke, this turns the switch on, sets the choke and high idle. Pull the rope until you hear it burp and quit. Push the choke in without touching the throttle and pull again. When it starts, bump the throttle to return to normal idle. I like to pull the choke then push it in before starting warm too, starts a little easier on high idle.

o
RE: Husqvarna 353 chainsaw problem

You could have tore the connector between the carb and cylinder by pulling on it, I did that on a 044 Stihl. Don't know if the 353 has the same setup. Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here