Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safety with 1950s solid 3/4 ply garage single doors & new openers

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 11 at 18:40

Have you had safety and success with 1950s solid 3/4 ply garage single doors & new openers? I have had openers on lighter 68's wooden panel doors w/o any problem since mid 80s. A friend wants to add an opener but I remember too much weight w/o seeing and raising the door. I doubt it has any counter balance springs. My suggestion has been to add a newer panel or metal door to the old hardware to be safe. The newer metal doors that I have noticed and work with were just “Skin” vs any quality.

Thanks in advance for any info. loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safety with 1950s solid 3/4 ply garage single doors & new ope

I think I would want a counter balance spring on any garage door. I would expect it is time for a new door and hardware.

o

I'm sure the wood door in question has springs. If it didn't, you couldn't open it. The door probably needs maintenance which may include spring replacement or certainly adjustment. Once the spring tension is optimized, any regular opener will work. My mother-in-law has a pair of the solid wood doors as you refer to, and they both have regular residential remote-control openers.
I'm with you on the security aspect of these very solid doors, but they do require a lot of maintenance.

o

Saxman, after seeing pics of the solid doors, you are correct.

1. They have good looking counter balancing springs, from the ceiling down to the pivot arms.

2. They have good strange looking hardware pivoting arms 3-4' away, approx center of height.

3. They have been rebuilt and I hope with 3/8" ply vs 3/4" but they still used full 2X4s.

Seeing this I feel the doors will be fine with openers. They'll still have the option to install rolling panels vs solid doors. I built overhead storage cabinets above my straight "panel" doors (mid 1970s) before rolling panels became popular with openers. I have opted to stay with my straight panels (that requires less hardware height clearance) vs removing the storage. To add strength, I rebuilt the doors with 1/8" X 1.5" angle iron and added 3/8" quality ply. Each door is 10 - 15 lbs heavier and there has never been a problem with the doors. I reinforced pivots and greased as needed as well as original early to mid 80s openers. loger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here