Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't win for losing...lol

Posted by snuffyinatl se (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 19:09

Ok...so I bought the 212cc Predator engine from Harbor Freight, got it all mounted and ready to go...engine runs like a champ...took it into the garden, tilled about 4 feet, and the tines stopped...dead. Took tiller apart, looks like the chain broke. Anywhere sell these chains? I may end up just finding an old Troy Bilt to mount the engine on. The current tiller is a Merry Tiller Custom, from the early 1970's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't win for losing...lol

Have you considered repairing the chain or replacing the chain? The Old Monsters Are Hard To Beat If They Are Not Too Warn. I like making minor repairs on what I know has quality vs dealing with today’s unknown quality. Time Brings About A Change. Plus, There Is The Bottom Line Of Enjoying Doing (if you have time) vs Having It Done.

o

If I can find the chains and sprockets I do plan on repairing the old girl...It has had many years of hard use, and this is the first time I have ever had a problem except for worn out engines. On 3rd engine now :)

o

Dolphin OPE in Florida is one source of parts for Merry Tillers. They have the parts lists available online (PDF download) so you can check to see what's available. You can also check McKissic's website for a complete list of distributors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dolphin Outdoor Power Equipment

o

Try a local electric motor repair shop.
There's one up here that has all kinds
of chains and most of the other drive
equipment, such as belts, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here