Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MacKissic Shredder Clutch Assembly removal

Posted by garystpaul z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 19:19

Got a Mighty Mac chipper-shredder, replacing B&S engine. Need to get clutch assembly off old shaft and onto new engine (1" diameter shaft). Removed the bolt, lock washer and flat washer, but having a heck of a time getting that clutch ass'y to budge off the shaft. Any tips or ideas how to accomplish this? Thanks. Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MacKissic Shredder Clutch Assembly removal

These are notorious for rusting on. You can try heating the snot out of it, but you may end up replacing the clutch. Price out the mounting plate as well if this is the case and make your life easier. Can you get in close enough to cut the shaft and press it off? Depends on what chipper you have.

o

Just out of curiosity, what model of Mighty Mac do you have and why are you replacing the motor ? I have a 12pt10 and have had to make several modifications but, so far, the motor is fine.

o

tomplum: thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to pop it loose, maybe with heat, then use a lifter-puller tool to gently pull it straight off. I intend to use the old engine for a different application, so don't want to harm the shaft or the slip clutch.

ubique: I have the same model Mighty Mac, a terrific machine. The B&S 1100 series engine has given me some headaches, though, including head gasket replacement (plus the first one they sent with the MM had a cracked head and wouldn't hold oil; they immediately sent a replacement). The main problem has been with the muffler; I've had three replacements so far, finally installed a helicoil in the head, but no luck. It's a bad design (machine screws into the muffler exhaust especially; the new 1150 series has a modified and better design).

I got the new engine without realizing I'd have to get the slip clutch assembly onto the new shaft. Another problem! The one I'm working on the at the moment. If any other ideas on how to get this done occur to you, shoot 'em on over.

Gary

o

Call or write MacKissic. they have a website that will direct you. They have knowledgeable tech people there who will answer questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here