Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Shed- how to anchor it

Posted by katiescarlett71 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 19:22

Not sure where to post this so I chose this forum for now.
I am planning on purchasing a new shed after we took down our rusty old galvanized steel one.

I am interested in the new hard plastic (or whatever is) kind. However, I am wondering how to secure it. We already have a concrete pad down from the old shed. This shed is from Lowe's and is a Suncast.
Dimensions are 4.7 x 3' x 6 (or close to it!). I asked a guy at home depot(no one around at Lowe's) how one would anchor these kinds of sheds and he didn't know. So if anyone could give me an idea on how to anchor this kind of shed, I would appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Shed- how to anchor it

I think I'd check out the product literature or possibly the manufactures website and see what they recommend. There are all kinds of concrete fasteners available depending on what type of framing the shed has - not sure if its wood or steel or plastic.

o
RE: Garden Shed- how to anchor it

Katie, Suncast's website has assembly instructions for what I believe to be the one you're describing. For securing it to the ground, it mentions four round recessed areas on the base that can be drilled out and 12" nails/landscape spikes driven through them into the ground.

For your application with the slab, I would recommend 3"-4" masonry screws(Assuming a 4" thick slab, slightly longer depending on how thick the base is) with galvanized washers to prevent them from tearing through the base. You would need four of them and an appropriately sized masonry bit, probably 1/8" or 3/16". The screws and bit can probably be had for under $10. You can ask someone at HD what size bit would be appropriate for what masonry screws they have.

As an alternative, you might try a construction adhesive such as Liquid Nails or a polyurethane adhesive. These can be bought in tubes for caulk guns for around $5 or so. I probably wouldn't use a continuous bead around the bottom, just several dabs of it where the base will contact the concrete. You could then use a scraper to separate the base from the pad if you want to either move it or purchase something bigger. Either would probably be good enough to keep your shed stable and in place. I personally favor poly adhesives.

Here's a link to what I believe to be the unit you describe. Under the picture is a link for "Assembly instructions". Never hurts to be prepared. :-) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Suncast Vertical Shed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here