Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akmcmasters

Craftsman Garage Door Opener- will only program one remote

akmcmasters
17 years ago

We purchased our Craftsman garage door opener in 1999. It worked fine for the first few years, then one of the remotes stopped working. When we reprogrammed the remote, the outside door opener stopped working and so did the 2nd remote. We reprogrammed the door opener and then neither remote would work. After a lot of similar programming circles... we can only get one remote device working at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments (27)

• Don_
    17 years ago

It sounds like one of your remotes has reverted to an earlier technology. If you can program one of the remotes and the keypad then you need to discard the other remote and purchase a new one.

• hiker_howard
    16 years ago

I have a similar problem. I can program one remote and the keypad. The other remote won't program. Then I reset the GDO, and I can program the other remote and the keypad. But never both remotes at the same time. First problem I've had with the GDO in 10 years.

Why would this mean that one of the remotes went bad? I thought it was a problem with the GDO?

• hiker_howard
    16 years ago

So I just went and tried it all again. Now I sort of agree. One remote will let me program both itself and the keypad, but the other remote once programmed in will not let me program in either the other remote or the keypad. So I guess the theory is that the first remote is setting the frequency in the GDO that all other remotes must use. If one remotes radio has wandered off frequency enough due to age, it can lock out the other remotes if it is programmed in first. I guess I need to go get a new remote to test this theory?

• soorma
    16 years ago

I have the same problem. Did any 1 find any answer to fix it.

• kel-n-dad
    16 years ago

My problem is I can program either the key pad or a remote by totally resetting the code only. Nothing will program the way the instructions say to. Any ideas?

• sivaragu
    16 years ago

I have Craftsman door opener model # 139.186006 and my remote control is broken, and I bought the remote from Sears, one button craftman, model: 139.18790B(Remote model) as per the instruction I should press 'learn' button or SRT button in the door opener unit, but I don't see those button in my door opener unit(motor), I see dip switch number from 1 to 9 and some twist for fast and slow pull up.. in front I see only light bulb again no switch there.. does any one how to program this? and where the learn or srt button is but I don't see any thing in the mounted unit..

• tngnagel_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I have the same problem. My battery went dead in one remote. I can only get 1 remote re-programmed. I tried resetting the frequency (holding the red button for more than 10 seconds). I can re-program either remote at will using this method, but not both. Also my keypad entry will no longer work. Does anyone have a solution. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• blc5434
    15 years ago

i have a garage opener with remote model# 139.53753, the remote open and closes the door fine, but there are 2 other buttons on the remote does not work. as far as I know one of the button turn on and off the light and the other one lock out the button, does anyone know why the other 2 buttons does not work?

thanks

• info_homeslisted_ca
    13 years ago

I tried as you suggested, only one will work. Here is a play by play of what I did.

1. Press the red button, little light comes on
    2. I press the remote and I hear a click and the light flickers on/off
    3. I press the red button again, little light comes on
    4. I press the 2nd remote and nothing happens. The little light stays on.

I had this working a few months back. had to change the battery on the "Craftman" remote, the end.

Hardware List
    Garage Door Opner - Craftman
    1 Remote is Craftman
    1 Remote is Chamberlain

Any help is appreciated

Larry

• bjohn_islander_tamucc_edu
    12 years ago

I recently tried programming a Chamberlain Universal Garage Door Remote to my Craftsman GDO. It works, but now the original Craftsman remotes don't work. (The premium control console works as well) I tried reprogramming the Craftsman remotes, but it doesn't seem to work but the Chamberlain remote works. I read something about rolling codes vs. billion codes and the remotes converting. Is that what happened? Is there anyway I can get the original Craftsman remotes to work again or do I need to buy new remotes?

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

You are most likely right about the two technologies and they won't work with each other. Try holding the smart/learn button in for 6 seconds. That will erase the memory of the opener and none of the remotes will work. Then program the opener by holding the button down on the remote and then pressing and immediately releasing the smart/learn button. Do this for each of your original remotes.

• WartHog3
    12 years ago

Hi. I had a battery go out in an original Craftsman remote. I replaced with a new battery, then followed the directions to program it exactly as described in the manual, after first clearing memory. The remote was identified by the receiver on the motor and "clicked" as stated in the manual. But when I click the remote, nada. The door will not open. Anyone have any ideas. This unit was from '98, installed by the previous owner.

• Bill1155th
    12 years ago

My opener stopped accepted more than one remote code at a time. I have three remotes. When I zero out the opener and program any one of them I can operate the opener. When I attempt to program a second one it will not program. The comments I have read on this focus on the remotes. However, all of the evidence points towards the circuit board in the opener. Does anybody know of a site where 1999 type of opener circuit boards can be purchased?

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

If any one of your remotes work the logic board is working. You need to buy a new remote with the same model number and you should be able to program the opener with the new remote and at least one of your old remotes. A process of elimination will work for you.

• stangale
    10 years ago

Lost a Sears Remote and replaced with a "New" one and had the same problem. (Only one would work at a time.) Thanks to this thread I purchased a Liftmaster 971LM for 1/3rd the price of the Craftsman. It took literally 5 seconds to program it and it doesn't conflict with other remotes. Sears is absolutely clueless about this and tried to have someone come out for "service" when all that's needed is the correct remote!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liftmaster 971LM

• exchangemail
    10 years ago

This problem is actually related to Chamerlain's garage door remote encoding system changes in past 30 years.

Chamerlain made a complicated receiver to support all encoding system, but with one limitation, only one format is supported at a time. ( from 8002U manual )

I guess that's why only one remote is supported happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage opener remotes encoding - Chamberlain

• bigrick1
    10 years ago

I have a craftsman garage door opener with the purple learn button. When I push it to get it to learn a keypad or an opener the light will come on but it will not start flashing. My other opener flashes like it is suppose to. Does that somehow mean my opener is bad or is there something I can do to fix the problem? In other words, I don't think my learn button is working and want to know if my opener is toast or can it be fixed by me? Thanks

• fobarr
    8 years ago

I lost one of my remotes. Can I re-program the one I have while shutting off the other one just in case someone else finds it

• v_gutierrez98
    7 years ago

Driving me mad. But found this to work. Erase all the receiver codes by holding the receiver code button for 6 seconds then reset the remotes as directed.

• Hilary Thomas
    7 years ago

v_gutierrez98, I was able to erase the receiver codes by following the directions on the side of the opener, as you listed above. Now neither of them will work...ugh

• v_gutierrez98
    7 years ago

Sorry, I haven't been back to this sight. And neglected my emails. You need a program board the part number starts with 41A...found under the cover. I did the things above and it only lasted a WEEK. You can get the board from Sears or shop it out. YouTube and such have very good videos how to change it out. It is very simple. Wish I had known about this sooner, as everything now works perfect.

• HU-242217735
    5 years ago

I know this is an older thread now but this is frustrating. I have two garage doors with Craftsman 1/2HP 41A5021-2F Red button type. Both are now messed up and will only program one opener. I reset and can program any one of the 4 remotes (only one button) to the door but will not learn anymore. Reset again and i can program another but I CANNOT program more than 1 button of 1

remote to a door. Prior to this i had 4 three button remotes and each door had a key pad entry system. I am now up the creek without a paddle! I have even unplugged the units for hours and still the same behavior!!!

• Michael Li
    3 years ago

same here. only one remote works.

do i need to change the board?

• HU-434533719
    2 years ago

i had some problem finnally figured out must have identical number on back of remote. my new remote was 61LM my 2 old remotes were 139.53778. one old one was wearing out so bought new one that said it would work. It did work but then old remotes wouldn't. the door opener gets the code from the remote. the remote does not learn the code form the door opener so you must have identical remote #s. If you can not find one with the same number o the back as your old one by 2 new ones that are identical..

• loger_gw
    2 years ago

Without reading all the replies, I have learned at a point professionals need to be called in. In many cases we can miss the simplest needs. Plus, it’s not worth the Danger or Savings involved. There is lots of Reality in respecting Experience of others vs being hurt for Life If You Are Lucky.

• HU-349346592
    11 months ago

I have the same problem. I can program 2 remotes and not the keypad or i can program the keypad and not the remotes. Could the remotes and the keypad be in a different frequency. Both work with the GDO but not at the same time ????????