Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyma_gw

Generic Tecumseh carb questions

andyma_gw
12 years ago

It is HM100 159230K s/n 3188D The last 2 digits of the model may be wrong. The engine is on a Coleman 5KW genset. I tagged its last refresh 6/15/05 since then I thought that I had fried the generator due the loud hum it gave off when I plugged it into a live 220 v line. back in '06. Doh! I assumed I blew it up. But after being without electricity and running water for 5 1/2 days and there is already another TS brewing, I decided to fish or cut bait with the Coleman. I dragged it out of the shed into the afternoon shade. I took off the air filter and poured a 1/4 cup of gas down the carb. It lit and died several times before I got it going. This is a recoil start 10hp. I brought the piston up and gave it a good yank. It fired. I had it putting out 850 watts and running a toaster a while later. So it seems to be working?? Running rough as the dickens. When I shut it off gas streams out of the the carb. Needle + seat, float troubles. The float sloshed when I shook it and who knows what the seat looks like after 5 yrs of sitting. So is the brass float fairly universal in Tecumseh carbs. What are the my chances that I can get the parts from my local fix it guy/ Ariens, Stihl, dealer? All this came out after 5 PM, so I'll make some calls on Saturday. I even have a plan B for the engine, should the gen be bad.

Comments (3)