Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_from_glasford

Troy-Bilt Horse tiller

joe_from_glasford
13 years ago

I need a tiller for my half-acre garden and am wondering if this is a good price:

http://peoria.craigslist.org/grd/1971730363.html

Late 80s to early 90's Troy bilt 7hp horse in very good condition for $550.

I need a tiller, and have been very impressed with the older model Troy bilts. Is this a decent price, and if not what should I offer for it?

Comments (8)

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

From 350 t0 550 would be good price has to be PTO model if year model guessing right the serial number tell year made. If save any money on buy go by harbor freight buy that 6 1/2 horsepower engine Greyhound engine and put in closet for later. Keep tiller rest your life. I make all pricings lower at pickup point not on phone.

• chas045
    13 years ago

I think I paid $500 for mine. Perhaps a bit high since I knew I would need to work on the carb, but it was from a friend so everyone needs to be happy. If timing is not an issue, you might try looking at auctions where auction time could be traded for a likely great deal. Remember, these are tanks and not likely useful for cultivating but only clear areas.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Check the tines for wear. If they are pointed at the ends, they are worn out. New tines are about $100 and the ends have about a 1" flat. For you use, I would recommend the hardened tines. Also, grab the tine and there should be little to no movement left and right. Check the vertical shafts on which the motor moves up and down for excessive play. They should be oiled and will have some play.

The PTO came out around 1983.

Be sure to check the trans and rear oil levels. If you buy it, I have the proper instructions on checking the levels.

They are easily maneuverable despite their size and the PTO allows safe travel to the site.

• dirtdigging101
    13 years ago

For you use, I would recommend the hardened tines.

Have to disagree, yess they last 2x as long but are 2x the price too! these heavier tines also put more stress on the tiller gear box and increase its failure rate. I have been an owner since 1988 and now have two horse tillers. I used the hardened tines a few times but have stayed with the standard ones. I buy a new set each year. Just remember thes machines eat dirt for a living

• sam_mcgowan
    13 years ago

If you can't afford to buy a new one, that is a decent price.

• joe_from_glasford
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The serial number is 340455 - around when would that put it being made?

Sorry it took awhile to post back but the seller finally got an email back to me - I guess she had an offer the night she posted the add, though when they showed up a week later they wanted to pay for it on a monthly installment plan.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

You need watchout buying this tiller its 1978 year model its miss late 80's earily 90's by mile.

• joe_from_glasford
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll steer clear unless the price drops significantly.