Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coasteray

Tecumseh and Briggs & Stratton engines

coasteray
15 years ago

I have a few questions about engines by both companies:

1) Are Tecumseh L-Head engines really a risky engine to own because of the potential for rods blowing? Just keep your oil up full and you're supposed to be fine? Is it really that easy? How about Briggs & Stratton L-heads?

2) What about the newer Tecumseh L-Heads compared to the "older" ones, perhaps 5 years old, or maybe 10 years, 15 years? Any comments about quality issues with various year models of these engines?

3) The OHV engines seem to be the future, right? So how long are L-Heads going to be made, and is that in itself a problem?

4) How reliable are the Tecumseh and Briggs & Stratton OHV engines going to be since they both utilize plastic timing gears? Is this really an issue? I'd hate to buy a new snow blower and run into trouble down the road. What a waste of money if the plastic parts are an issue, you know?

5) Speaking of OHV engines, is Tecumseh better, or Briggs & Stratton? I've read that The B & S Power Built engines have no throttles but run quieter than their Intek counterparts, but then I've read that Intek engines have plastic timing gears. Do the Power Built engines also have any plastic parts?

6) Are Tecumseh OHV engines noisier than the B & S OHV engines? Also, are there any mechanical issues with the Tecumseh engines?

I know this is a lot of questioning, but I need to learn all this stuff before I buy a blower. I keep thinking that if OHV engines are the future that maybe I shouldn't worry about plastic gears and whose engines are quieter, or whatever. At my school custodial job, I've used both Ariens and Husqvarna blowers, but I don't own these machines, so I don't worry about any of this stuff, but to own my own, well......

Thanks for helping on these questions. It's much appreciated.

Comments (12)

• canguy
    15 years ago

Unless you are buying used, you are unlikely to find many snowblowers equipped with Tecumseh engines. The company has been sold and has ceased operations in the U.S.
    Tecumseh owned the snowblower market for many years, they were tough engines designed for cold weather use. However Briggs and the cheaper Chinese clones have taken over that segment.

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Why worry about it a replacement engine is cheaper than repair of a major problem. Tecumseh's a good engines if you do regular pre-ventive maintenance on them, but that goes for any brand, neglect them and they all throw rods eventually. I have yet to wear out a SGE or any engine. Sure there is a low .2% chance the could be manufacture's defect or material failure and a higher chance assembly line error 30% or higher, but odds are neglect will get them first.

• cranheim
    15 years ago

I purchased an Ariens ST926DLE Blower in 2004 with a Tecumseh 9 hp OHV engine. It has electric start as well as a pull rope. I only used the electric start once, just to make sure it worked in case I ever needed it. If I follow the starting procedure using the primer bulb, choke and throttle settings, it starts on the first pull. This engine must have compression release, because it is so easy to start compared to my old Ariens with an L head 7hp Tecumseh engine. I can't ask for a better performing engine. I sure hope Tecumseh does not go out of business. However, if it lasts as long as my other L head engine (35 years) I will be happy. Charles Ranheim

• otterhead
    15 years ago

That's an interesting comment about Tecumseh ceasing operations in the US. Just looked at the ariens website and they're listing Snow King engines on their blowers.

• cranheim
    15 years ago

I also looked at the Ariens web site and was glad to see they are still using the Tecumseh Snow King Engines. As I said before, I am well pleased with my Tecumseh, and have not found anything negative about it. I certainly can't ask for a better performing engine. The only unknow factor is the long term reliability, but I guess that factor would be the same with any engine. Charles Ranheim

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Remember: Check oil on a clean wiped dip-stick! If you just pull it out to check it and don't wipe it and dip it again and pull it out, you'll be seeing the oil that was splashed on it during the previous operation of the engine! Especially if an engine that gets run a lot.
    As for the plastic gears--i don't worry about that kind of stuff--i figger the engineers that designed the plastic gears were much better educated than me, so they did sell a lot of those engines! An, with proper care, Tecumseh engines will last as long as B&S!
    A guy gave me a used Tecumseh, 10 h.p. engine, Industrial model, for my older Snapper rider. I put it on and it runs great. Been on it 4 years now, and no problems.
    I bought a Sears tractor, $25, with a cracked frame, put the B&S engine on my big Snapper Hi-vac rider, and it seems very happy there! Neighbor gave me his tractor--blew the engine on it, i installed a used engine-runs and drives! Do i worry about plastic cam gears?? No--no worry!

• ifuwill
    15 years ago

Hi All. I just purchased a 305cc OHV Briggs and Stratton Snowblower and after delivery I noticed NO THROTTLE LEVER!
    What gives? My previous snowblower was a Tecumseh powered 10.5 HP machine but it was noisy, dirty and sputtered (with the occasional back firing) so I replaced it. I had heard the OHV engine ran smoother and quieter. But now I am confused as to why there is no throttle lever. I hear many of the B & S engines only come with stationary throttles and it may be because of EPA requirements.

• coasteray
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ifuwill said:

* Posted by ifuwill (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 2:41

Hi All. I just purchased a 305cc OHV Briggs and Stratton Snowblower and after delivery I noticed NO THROTTLE LEVER!
    What gives? My previous snowblower was a Tecumseh powered 10.5 HP machine but it was noisy, dirty and sputtered (with the occasional back firing) so I replaced it. I had heard the OHV engine ran smoother and quieter. But now I am confused as to why there is no throttle lever. I hear many of the B & S engines only come with stationary throttles and it may be because of EPA requirements.

coasteray's answer:
    You probably have a B & S Power Built OHV engine. Briggs also has their popular "Intek" OHV engine which DOES have a throttle. The Power Built ones don't.

• mogulero_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Tecumseh parts are unavailable. For years I had an Atlas track mounted thrower with an 8 horse Tecumseh engine. It threw a rod and no replacement is available. I will have to buy a new machine.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

If the blower is still good why not re-engine it? China honda knock-offs are dirt cheap from 200 to 300 bucks if that. Briggs maybe 350 to 450? I can't see you getting new SB equal to the machine you got for less than 12oo to 15oo bucks? If you google 8HP small gas engine several for less than 150 bucks used.
    http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_and_stratton_8-35_horizontal.htm
    that site has new 9 HP for $399. course you will have to measure you shaft and demensions for a close fit. If you able and got the know how to put new engine on?

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

Forgot about these guys even cheaper 249 to $260 and will probably tell you which one will fit the easiest???

• jrscpu2004_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a 3 year old 10HP L head Tecumseh engine on my Cub Cadet 930SWE snowblower. Works fine. Tecumseh sold out to two companys.
    Husqverna & Peerless Transmission. I called Husqverna and just for kicks they show my model engine in stock. Cub Cadet wasn't even aware of this so if someone needs a Tecumseh they should check with either these 2 companys. That's probably why one persons post they see SnowKing motors on new snowbliwers. After 2nd season I switched a Castrol Synthetic oil which is great.